PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Injectors

Hector
08-02-2004, 12:15 PM
I think I broke a couple of these "fins" on the tip of the injector, or they were like this when the injector was removed. The o-ring at the other end is easy to replace but what about the o-ring near the tip?

http://www.geocities.com/frothlikn/classic_tan18.html

1992 BMW 535i
08-02-2004, 12:44 PM
Have you thought of going with a set of 19lb injectors?

winfred
08-02-2004, 12:57 PM
those plastic caps with the fins are generally known as injector heat shields, they pop off with some difficulty then you slide on a new o-ring and new heat shield, i don't have the part number or id list it they should come with o-rings as a kit

I think I broke a couple of these "fins" on the tip of the injector, or they were like this when the injector was removed. The o-ring at the other end is easy to replace but what about the o-ring near the tip?

http://www.geocities.com/frothlikn/classic_tan18.html

632 Regal
08-02-2004, 01:59 PM
The 5.0 mustang injectors dont have them deals at all, car still runs. Dont know if it has a performance advantage with them or not.

Hector
08-03-2004, 08:45 AM
those plastic caps are a bitch to take off. You have to literally tear it apart to get the cap off. I was told from BMA that they don't sell o-ring/cap kits for BMW but they do sell them for Mercedes and Volvos of which are all the same. I ordered one to be picked up in a couple of hours. I got some vacuum grease for the o-ring and for the cap to help put it over the injector. I hope installation is easier than removal.

I thought about the 19 lb injectors and is something that I might consider later. This has been discussed in some length on the board before but I need to learn more about it before I sink my teeth into it. It's still not clear to me if injector switch-over has an added benefit. I think there was a discussion a while back that this coupled with the MAF gives you better fuel economy but again I'm still green on the topic.

Thanks!

Bill R.
08-03-2004, 08:48 AM
if you need to replace the original ones.. If i were to replace mine I would probably use these not expecting any gains just looking to save money on replacement injectors that should work as well as stock or slightly more efficient than stock.

those plastic caps are a bitch to take off. You have to literally tear it apart to get the cap off. I was told from BMA that they don't sell o-ring/cap kits for BMW but they do sell them for Mercedes and Volvos of which are all the same. I ordered one to be picked up in a couple of hours. I got some vacuum grease for the o-ring and for the cap to help put it over the injector. I hope installation is easier than removal.

I thought about the 19 lb injectors and is something that I might consider later. This has been discussed in some length on the board before but I need to learn more about it before I sink my teeth into it. It's still not clear to me if injector switch-over has an added benefit. I think there was a discussion a while back that this coupled with the MAF gives you better fuel economy but again I'm still green on the topic.

Thanks!

Hector
08-03-2004, 08:54 AM
I ordered one injector cause I had torn it up removing the plastic cap. It was $44 at BMA compared to $70-something from BavAuto. Are the 19 lb injectors lower than BMA's price?

Bill R.
08-03-2004, 09:04 AM
Here at five oh
(http://www.fiveomotorsport.com/Injector_SetsBMW.asp)

I ordered one injector cause I had torn it up removing the plastic cap. It was $44 at BMA compared to $70-something from BavAuto. Are the 19 lb injectors lower than BMA's price?

Hector
08-03-2004, 09:10 AM
Right now I just want to get this car up and running. I'm pretty excited. I think I'll have a chance to put foot-to-pedal tomorrow. If all goes well, then I got to install the mods I purchased and I'll be one happy camper.

Here at five oh
(http://www.fiveomotorsport.com/Injector_SetsBMW.asp)

Hector
08-03-2004, 01:45 PM
Well
I was told from BMA that they don't sell o-ring/cap kits for BMW but they do sell them for Mercedes and Volvos of which are all the same. is not true. Just looked at the o-rings/cap kit. Although the cap fits of the injector nozzle it doesn't have the fins so I didn't wanna risk it and decided not to purchase. FYI: Checked on the price of the Bosch/Ford 19 lb injectors at BMA and they run 48 dollas. So Bill's site is cheaper. I think I will change all injectors during xmas time.