PDA

View Full Version : Haw Haw Haw....unless my car has a front diff., groaning is gone...

ryan roopnarine
07-31-2004, 05:16 PM
Had my grandfather ride along in the backseat last nite to confirm that the noise, was indeed the differential. He said that that diagnosis sounded exactly right. drained the diff this morning of the week old mobil 1 75w90....the fluid was clear in sample, but black in the waste container. flushed it out with a bottle or two of 80w90 cheapo stuff. drained and waited...put in 1 3/4 bottle of royal purple 75w140, and a tube of diff stuff from autozone. drove it, found that it was making slightly more noise now. got pissed off at it. drove it home, and on a lark, put the two out of round tires on the front of the car. test drove, with cautious optimism. the "diff" growl had shifted to the front of the car, at least to my ears. swiped grandfather for test drive, to confirm. told me that the only sound he could hear from the rear end was the sound of my flowmaster/holey OEM muffer leak :D i doubt, in retrospect, that i needed to do much more to the mobil one than add a tube of LSD additive to it for it to work well. however, as i notice no measured loss of fuel economy or acceleration, will repeat in 30k miles with the 75w140. will be replacing the two out of round tires and getting a bent wheel straightened in about 2 weeks, hopefully that will kill the sound.

ryan roopnarine
08-01-2004, 12:12 AM
i just realised something that could have tipped me off...using the new mobil 1, there was a differing "growling" that occured during low speed turns, that was of a completely different character than the continuous speed operation. i guess the mobil 1 just needed some LSD additive added to it, as it is formulated a little on the thin side (as most mobil 1 products seem to be).

Kamil
08-01-2004, 12:25 AM
You need a better/louder stereo system. :D

Replace the bent wheels and consider getting new tires. I would assume that you have (more) shimmy/vibrations in the bent wheels on the front?

ryan roopnarine
08-01-2004, 09:08 AM
i can't find any style 10s for sale, and replacing all 4 wheels is not in my budget, so i'll just have to try to get the bent one straightened. the vibration in the front is ok so long as the temp is below 90, (actually smoother because they are transportation appliance style goodyear touring tires) after that the mobil 1 topup i put in to the thrust arm leaks out of the cracked boot. it seems like everything marketed under the mobil 1 name is a little on the "thin" side of its viscosity rating....IMHO

632 Regal
08-01-2004, 05:24 PM
Mobil one rocks! Quit you complaining.

ryan roopnarine
08-01-2004, 07:31 PM
i'd like to think that the mobil 1 stuff is good....its just that the grease seems to melt in florida for no damn reason other than temperature...it's like it turns to syrup in the grease gun, out in the open, et cetera......i'd have gotten mobil 1 75w140 if i could have found it. (the ow40 is also thin by oil analysis, its barely 40w, like the 5w30 and 10w30, and the 5w40).