PDA

View Full Version : Question on acrylic headlight lenses and engine pinging...

RobPatt
07-31-2004, 10:23 AM
My car's taking a beating commuting down I-65 every week.
Last week my high beam got shattered from a thrown stone...
yesterday I got a nice 2 inch crack in the windshield from another stone....

Does anyone have thoughts on those acrylic headlight lenses sold for $50 on e-bay? Or a cheap high beam for sale?

Also, either I'm getting pinging at high speeds (75-80mph) or my lifters chatter (M50 w/EAT and 93 Octane). I'm switching to 40 weight oil from 30 in case it's the lifters. Otherwise is there a different spark plug I can try other than what BMA sends, or anything else I can try to end the pinging? I've run techron 2 tanks before... also tried BG44K... slight improvement.

Thanks! I'm registered now! :-)
Rob sends...

Phil M
07-31-2004, 10:41 AM
call BMA for the lenses

winfred
07-31-2004, 11:19 AM
bosch F7LDCR or ngk BKR6EK both work fine even with 40k+ miles on em i've still seen decent running and a good burn

is there a different spark plug I can try other than what BMA sends

RobPatt
07-31-2004, 11:27 AM
I don't know how plug "temperatures" influence the engine, but wondered if a different plug would possibly change things... thanks.

bosch F7LDCR or ngk BKR6EK both work fine even with 40k+ miles on em i've still seen decent running and a good burn

winfred
07-31-2004, 11:33 AM
if it just started pinging there may be something pissing it off like bad gas or air leak or fuel filter, something like that

rickm
07-31-2004, 11:54 AM
3M makes material that will cover the lenses. StonGuard (among others) carries it precut to fit. (This material sticks to the lenses but isn't one of those "aero" cover looking units)

Aaron Bakos
08-01-2004, 09:00 AM
I have a 95' 525i and I have noisy lifters...it seems to be a well documented issue with these motors.

I haven't played around with the oil weight too much, sometimes it's better, sometimes it's worse, but it always seems to be there :)

ryan roopnarine
08-01-2004, 09:28 AM
i take it that this is the rob that lives in the upper part of florida? if so, are you using mobil1 40 weight oil? the 0w40 is a little on the thin side of 40, perhaps you could try some cheap walmart 10-40, that's almost a 50 weight, and see if it quiets things down. its only 84 cents/quart, so if you don't like it, you can throw it away without too much heartache. also, you can use it to do yer fuel injector cleanings if you do wanna get rid of it earlier. me, i'm about to make a adaptor for the 3m fuel injector aerosol out of a big lots R134a tap, to see if i can get rid of this damn pinging. (the bg44k helped tremendously, though).