PDA

View Full Version : new brake pads and rotors

nuwde
07-30-2004, 02:54 AM
hey guys, i'm checking out bma for new front and rear pads and rotors. there are a lot of brands. what do you guys suggest for a 92 525i? ATE, Friction Tech, Jurid, LPR, Mintex, PBR, Pagid, Textar (there are a bunch). Will I need to buy the sensors? I'm open to any suggestions you guys have.

Also, are rotors called brake discs? Do i need to go for cross-drilled? Got any suggestions there? Thanks for all the help guys!

Edwin

philbyil
07-30-2004, 08:24 AM
I have had ATE Powerdiscs and EBC RedStuff brake pads on mine for over 4 years. Love 'em! Stop like you hit a brick wall and NO DUST!!
If you don't drive fast/aggressively, try EBC Greenstuff instead of the Reds.

Yes, Rotors are Brake Discs and you don't NEED cross-drilled and if you buy the Ate Powerdiscs they are slotted. Yes, buy new sensors as they are cheap and the old ones will be dirty and brittle. I also bought new pins and hardware for my replacement but then again, I am entirely anal!

Rick L
07-30-2004, 08:58 AM
I wouldn't recommend slotted rotors unless you want it for track. Your pads will wear much faster. The slotted rotors tend to slice away your pads. I’m not sure if it really helps the car stop faster… Not all rotors are created equal. One of my friends pickup Zimmerman cross-drilled rotors with Raybestos QS ceramic pads and he highly recommends this combo. Zimmerman is high quality rotor that’s made in Germany and the cross-drilled is cast that way instead of being drilled. Raybestos QS ceramic pads produce almost no brake dust and squeak.

Yes, Rotors are Brake Discs and you don't NEED cross-drilled and if you buy the Ate Powerdiscs they are slotted.

winfred
07-30-2004, 09:07 AM
i've put 40-50k hard miles on my e30 with ate power disc's and pbr organic front pad/rotors and i am still on the same pads, i've noticed a improvement on every car i've installed power discs on

The slotted rotors tend to slice away your pads. I’m not sure if it really helps the car stop faster

Tiger
07-30-2004, 09:16 AM
I agree... get Powerdisc... brake pads last longer with slotted or crossdrilled... As for brake pad, I would go with PBR MetalMaster... which is virtually dustless.

Bill R.
07-30-2004, 10:11 AM
Winfred included and install them on a wide variety of cars..
In my experience the raybestos qs series have been the best pads I've put on any cars. I get no complaints whatsoever about noise or dusting from customers with them. I have installed virtually every pad out there in the past and these are the best I have found for overall street use. The only ones i haven't installed on a customers car that was mentioned is the EBC's that Phil uses... other than that I've installed every make you have listed and still have the best results with the raybestos QS, If you decide to get raybestos make sure its the QS and not one of the other series such as raymold or pg plus... You can get them from any checker store, pepboys or partsamerica.com online. IF you call around in your city I'm sure you 'll find a number of stores that carry them. As far as the rotors go I have had good results with both the ate powerdiscs and balo conventional rotors. Both are reasonably priced and work well.

hey guys, i'm checking out bma for new front and rear pads and rotors. there are a lot of brands. what do you guys suggest for a 92 525i? ATE, Friction Tech, Jurid, LPR, Mintex, PBR, Pagid, Textar (there are a bunch). Will I need to buy the sensors? I'm open to any suggestions you guys have.

Also, are rotors called brake discs? Do i need to go for cross-drilled? Got any suggestions there? Thanks for all the help guys!

Edwin

nuwde
07-30-2004, 10:55 AM
Thanks for all the help and suggestions! Bill R, i couldn't find ATE power discs for the rear at bmaparts. i wanted to do all my shopping at bma just to save on shipping, but they only have the ATE front power discs there. i guess i'll shop around my local places to see what they have. how much should i look to pay for the ate rotors and the raybestos QS pads?

edwin

Bill R.
07-30-2004, 11:23 AM
better on the rear anyway... QS pads for yours for the front are 58.99 from parts america.com which is checker, advance auto, kragen... you may find them cheaper at one of your local autoparts houses...for the rears there is no need to run qs series the pg series raybestos are fine, they are 39 for the rears...

Thanks for all the help and suggestions! Bill R, i couldn't find ATE power discs for the rear at bmaparts. i wanted to do all my shopping at bma just to save on shipping, but they only have the ATE front power discs there. i guess i'll shop around my local places to see what they have. how much should i look to pay for the ate rotors and the raybestos QS pads?

edwin

bahnstormer
07-30-2004, 11:36 AM
i recently put pagid's sport pads front and rear on my oem rotors and after a careful break in i love em. i've gone for 3 days without dusting, whereas the oem would cover my wheels black after a 30 min jaunt (yes i drive HARD)
the stopping power is not noticably shorter or anything, but the pedal is a bit firmer
up top

philbyil
07-30-2004, 03:58 PM
ATE PD's aren't available for the rear and, as Bill said, use Balo's on the rear. I bought mine from BMA.
FYI - I use EBC's all around on wifeys A4q 2.8, on the GQ (my 525i) and also on her CB750 Honda motorcycle!

I defer to Bill's wisdom as he is the pro when it comes to experience with lots of brake jobs. However, over 3 years of use with them on both cars have made it apparent that EBC's were MUCH better than stock and have remained excellent with good feel throughout 3 years of use. However, it was only when I installed them on her bike a couple of months ago that, WOW! both she and I, REALLY noticed the difference! Virtually fade free with good feedback and modulation.....you really get to feel them through the bike brakes.

nuwde
07-30-2004, 05:10 PM
i recently put pagid's sport pads front and rear on my oem rotors and after a careful break in i love em. i've gone for 3 days without dusting, whereas the oem would cover my wheels black after a 30 min jaunt (yes i drive HARD)
the stopping power is not noticably shorter or anything, but the pedal is a bit firmer
up top

Hey guys, i've decided to take up Bill's suggestion. I'm gonna go with ate power discs and raybestos qs pads up front and balo discs and raybestos pg in the rear. my local store got me the ATE ($60 each) and balo ($40 each) cheaper than BMA. unfortunately they can't get raybestos so i'll get those from partsAmerica. does partsamerica sell the wear sensors? my store is charging $5.50 each compared to BMA $2.95 each (without shipping). Thanks guys!

Edwin

nuwde
07-30-2004, 05:28 PM
i just called up bma and the pbr organics are about half the cost of the raybestos. what have you guys heard on these? he said that they are dustless, squeakless and will help my rotors last longer. will the raybestos be that much better for me to pay double the price? i'm thinking of just getting the pbr pads. please advise. thanks!

edwin

Bill R.
07-30-2004, 08:55 PM
front i would stick with the qs.... I use pbr semimetallics on my van but they are noisy and dusty but cheap... I'll probably put some qs on it next time it needs them also..

i just called up bma and the pbr organics are about half the cost of the raybestos. what have you guys heard on these? he said that they are dustless, squeakless and will help my rotors last longer. will the raybestos be that much better for me to pay double the price? i'm thinking of just getting the pbr pads. please advise. thanks!

edwin

winfred
07-30-2004, 09:54 PM
the pbr's are ok but they have been screwing with the compound and they are now not always squeel free, they are inexpensive and what i've always run on my cars (i don't have wholesale access to raybestos so it's hard to ignore the fact that i pay about 25% of what i can get raybestos for at pepboys for pbr's) ill probably pop for something sporty for my m coupe suspension project

edwin

winfred
07-30-2004, 09:55 PM
for some strange reason they don't seem to make rear power disc's

edwin

Anton CH.
07-30-2004, 10:32 PM
I have a ATE/PBR combo on the front and oem on the back. The fronts dust about 10x less than the rears! However, I did notice a decrease in the stopping distance.