PDA

View Full Version : transmission oil cooler

Phil M
07-30-2004, 01:03 AM
i finally got my trans to get looked at yesterday. they spent all day yesterday tracking down the "right (OEM) fluid" for the transmission instead of putting just multivehicle ATF like i had said i was recommended. he was like well thats at your own risk so i told em to just put the OEM fluid in and he guaranteed that if it screwed my trans, that theyd replace it. they got $168 worth of fluid from the dealer; enough to flush 90% of the old **** out and put in the new.

anyway today I got a call and they said after inspecting further that the trans oil cooler had been previously hit really hard and was pretty much just dangling there. they believe trans fluid is leaking out of it. this has to be replaced regardless on the condition of the transmission so they ordered a new cooler today and will be replacing it tomorrow.

i asked how much and he said for everything (trans fluid change, filter kit replacement, new oil cooler, labor) and he said a bit over $800. plus i previously bought the filter kit from BMA.

i just now looked on that online ETK and a new oil cooler + the cooler lines is about $230. id say that its cheeper from BMA. so afteraround $390 in parts.. altho i havent found out how much the oil cooler was seperately, but i doubt it was more than what was listed on the ETK. so that leaves $400+ in labor.

sound right to you guys?

MBXB
07-30-2004, 01:56 AM
When I have work done by my indy, the labor charge usually ends up almost equal the parts cost. His posted shop rate is $75 an hour.