PDA

View Full Version : Definitive word from Castrol UK, SAF-XLS/XJ IS 75w140....

ryan roopnarine
07-28-2004, 03:01 PM
the xls, which was superceded by castrol xj, was specified fill for 5 series with limited slip differentials. the xo is a 75w90 (like more common mobil1 reg) for regular rear ends.

I'd like to start off by saying that it is IN NO WAY my intent to piss off bill, winfred, any prof. mechanic on this board by telling anyone this, or contradicting the aforementioned's recommendations . i've saved at least 1k USD by getting advice off this board, and i'm grateful. i tried to pinch pennies when bill told me to put some redline in my rear end by using two unopened bottles of mobil1 75w90 i had. it looks as though i may have to repeat the job because of this. my rear end obviously has significant wear issues, and i should have followed his advice. it probably would have shut the chattering up. that having been said:

i contacted castrol europe (the SAF designations refer to European castrol products)...who referred me to their product datasheet section. as it was a java applet, i was pointed in the direction i should follow. i've determined the source of the datasheet, and pasted it as a link here

http://amtulld001.bp.com/bpglis/lubtds.nsf/e1cd48f22cd02c6280256dff00509ca4/097303f7f75683b080256cbf00353e21?OpenDocument

which says, basically, that it is a 75w140 oil.

I'm certainly not trying to start anything, but i think that anyone with a LSD that plans on changing their gear oil should at least CONSIDER this as food for thought.....after all, it is a huge jump, more than 7 centistokes at 100 C, between 90 weight oil and 140 weight. as my case is "terminal" , i have nothing to lose by ordering up some mobil1 75w140 and trying it out. if it lasts another 30k because of this, i believe i'll have saved up enough pennies by then to buy a replacement diff for helga.