PDA

View Full Version : argh....differential makes noise descending slopes/does M1 do okay in diff?

ryan roopnarine
07-27-2004, 09:21 PM
after changing the differential oil in my 4-10 ended 525i, it seemed as though the intermittent groan problem was solved. today, i realised what the problem was.....the car only groans when levelling off and descending mild grades. the problem became really noticeable when i went to pick my sister up from tallahassee, which has a similar topography as somewhere like san francisco....all hills, from which i deduced that the oil really gavce up the ghost. unintentionally, i filled the diff on an unlevel surface (hood higher than trunk)....and think this might have something to do with it (but it was running out of the hole when i closed things back up). this wouldn't have anything to do with m1 diff fluid not being quite up to the task, would it? i'm not against draining it and filling it up with redline if this is the case. thanks.

632 Regal
07-27-2004, 10:04 PM
alrighty buddy you ready to pull and check that unit out! its probably worn bearings with the wrong setup causing the noise but you mentioning only on deceleration id guess its the main thrust bearing on the pinion, the side gears dont get much heavy workin at all and would usually fail after the pinion does. your always into fun stuff Ryan

ryan roopnarine
07-27-2004, 10:23 PM
the unit was making noise under all accel/decel conditions until i changed the oil, now its back to making noise only under acceleration when descending grades like it was about 5k miles ago.....i guess i better checking out snake oils if the level doesn't prove to be the problem. also, i check under the car every day, it hasn't been leaking since i changed it.