PDA

View Full Version : Window Cleaning help please!

mjhanna
07-27-2004, 07:53 PM
The rear window on my 1990-535ia has a great deal of buildup on it, and looks cloudy at night or in the rain. I have tried several types of cleaners without success. A friend recommended Rain-X glass polish, but they have stopped making that product, due to slow sales. Any help or proven ideas will be greatly appreciated! Thanks...Mark

TC535i
07-27-2004, 07:57 PM
Inside or outside?

garretb
I use a product called 'Invisible Glass' and a microfiber towel, and it works great. The directions on the can also say that you can use balled up newspaper as a wipe to help get off buildup.

A great place to find out stuff like this is at the roadfly detailer's forum (http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/detailing/). They have excellent recommendations for products and cleaning tips. This board has long ago taken my attention away from the E34 board there, but I will definitely say that the detaling board has always been very useful.

Good luck.

mikey535im
Bon-Ami,A mixture diluted with water to be followed by a good glass cleaner like Stoners Invisible Glass should do the trick.
(Thanx George M for the advise on the Stoners)
Mike

TC535i
07-27-2004, 08:00 PM
Yup, just did my whole car with Stoner Invisible Glass (picked my last can up free-after-rebate from Kragen!), it's tint-safe, gotta love that.

If it's build up on the outside, get one of those "paper cans" of Bon-Ami (with the little chick on the label, it's a household cleaning product), rinse the window down to get some moisture on it, then dust it on and scrub wtih a wet sponge (soft sponge, not a brillo pad or anything). That should take care of most of it...

mjhanna
07-28-2004, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the ideas. The buildup is on the outside, and I've actualy tried Bon Ami, but got scared that I was going to scratch the glass. I'll try again gently, and pick up some "invisible glass" !! Thanks again...Mark

mjhanna
07-28-2004, 10:05 AM
Great tip too on the Roadfly Detailers Forum. Great Stuff!!! Thanks