PDA

View Full Version : In a Dilemma, Need help

kngpen
07-27-2004, 05:27 PM
Hello, I recently bought a used sachs kit and its in the process of being installed by my mechanic. He always has the rear done and started doing the front. Upon trying to install he saw that the front will not fit my car. It will work for a 89-92 525, 535 and 540 or something along those lines. However it will not fit my 95 525i. He says that it is possible to fit it in and use washers and it might work, but I will hear a rattle. He said he could try getting some 540i strut mounts and fitting it but he was unsure if it would work. I have no idea what to do. Here is what I was thinking.

1.) Put the stock struts back on (they are blown but :P) and try to get 2 front struts that will fit down the road.

2.) Call up BMA see if they will sell me 1 front strut (I think the springs are universal not sure) and trade me for 1 so I would get two total. Because one of the struts is new and from BMA because the guy who sold it to me broke one upon removal, so bma sent me one.

3.) Buy the 540 strut mounts and let him install them ( which I dont really want to do because its not right, and I wont to sell/swap these ones to get the right ones).

I am not sure what to do and could really use some advice for this situation.
Thanks, Joe

632 Regal
07-27-2004, 06:09 PM
OK, i think the difference between the struts is the nut size on top. I do not know if you can change the upper strut mount out but thats a different angle. get the proper strut if its only 1 and go that route. probably cheaper than changing the mounts out.

George M
07-28-2004, 08:01 AM
Whatever you decide...I wouldn't kluge anything...you will likely regret it. Try to find a tried and true combination. Call BMA and ask their opinion...they are very fair. Too bad your mechanic didn't install the fronts first :-) You may consider removing the sachs kit and returning it unless you can find the right hardware to adapt the front shock inserts. Stock replacement or koni shock inserts with BMW OE M-technic sport springs is a popular alternative to the Sachs kit.
Good Luck,
George

happifella
07-28-2004, 08:38 AM
In looking at the ETK, it appears that the '95 525's use a different type of upper strut mount - the 525 has a "guide support and upper spring plate" whereas the earlier 5 series, such as my 535i has a complete "guide support" that has the bearings and rubber all in one. I just installed the sachs kit in my '91 535i and had no problems. I only needed the "insert" that goes over the strut shaft to fill the void in the upper strut mount hole (keeps things from rattling). It is used on the later 535i's because they came with a larger diameter strut rod and the sachs strut rod is of a smaller diameter.

Jeff
'91 535i
'97 740i

winfred
07-28-2004, 08:46 AM
the correct upper mounts should fix the problem if you are having the problem i think you have, but they are usually real expensive

AllanS
07-28-2004, 09:03 AM
Jeff, did your insert (that goes over the strut shaft to fill the void in the upper strut mount hole) come with the kit, or did you have to order it seperately?

Thanks,
Allan

Steve N
07-28-2004, 09:11 AM
Can you get more detail on what the problem is? What part# is the Sachs kit? The reason I ask is that I just put this kit on my '95 about 2 months ago and had no fitment problems, just installer problems.

Hello, I recently bought a used sachs kit and its in the process of being installed by my mechanic. He always has the rear done and started doing the front. Upon trying to install he saw that the front will not fit my car. It will work for a 89-92 525, 535 and 540 or something along those lines. However it will not fit my 95 525i. He says that it is possible to fit it in and use washers and it might work, but I will hear a rattle. He said he could try getting some 540i strut mounts and fitting it but he was unsure if it would work. I have no idea what to do. Here is what I was thinking.

1.) Put the stock struts back on (they are blown but :P) and try to get 2 front struts that will fit down the road.

2.) Call up BMA see if they will sell me 1 front strut (I think the springs are universal not sure) and trade me for 1 so I would get two total. Because one of the struts is new and from BMA because the guy who sold it to me broke one upon removal, so bma sent me one.

3.) Buy the 540 strut mounts and let him install them ( which I dont really want to do because its not right, and I wont to sell/swap these ones to get the right ones).

I am not sure what to do and could really use some advice for this situation.
Thanks, Joe
;) ;)

happifella
07-28-2004, 09:21 AM
Allan,

They came with the kit.

Jeff

Jeff, did your insert (that goes over the strut shaft to fill the void in the upper strut mount hole) come with the kit, or did you have to order it seperately?

Thanks,
Allan

AllanS
07-28-2004, 11:35 AM
Thanks!