PDA

View Full Version : Auto dim mirror

toby_forsdyke@hotmail.com
07-27-2004, 12:49 PM
I've checked the archives but . . .

The discussions there seemed to center around finding the plug BMW had hidden away above the headlining. I have managed to acquire a Gentex 117 auto dim mirror from an E39. The windscreen/windshield fitting is the same, but can anyone help with the wiring code - as it looks as if I'm going to have to create some new cabling for it. (I only need to know which are positive, ground and switched reverse).

Colours on mirror wiring as follows:

Red = ?
Brown = ?
(x2) Green = ?
Black = ?
Grey = ?
(x2) White = ?
Orange = ?

ps This mirror has done the rounds on eBay, both in the States and the UK - no way I'm giving up!

gale
07-27-2004, 08:11 PM
There are several posts in the roadfly e34 archives that might be of some help. Also, "Gordon" who used to post here up until recently, added one to his. You might shoot him an e-mail if this doesn't help:

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e34/230601-1.html

Bill R.
07-27-2004, 08:31 PM
reallly dark side as in Lucas....

There are several posts in the roadfly e34 archives that might be of some help. Also, "Gordon" who used to post here up until recently, added one to his. You might shoot him an e-mail if this doesn't help:

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e34/230601-1.html

gale
07-27-2004, 09:20 PM
Lucas -- didn't they used to make refrigerators? That explains why the Brits drink warm beer :p

Phil M
07-28-2004, 01:01 AM
i thought he meant george lucas as in darth vader dark side :D

MBXB
07-28-2004, 01:09 AM
Lucas Electrics...Prince of Darkness LOL

07-28-2004, 06:32 AM
Lucas -- didn't they used to make refrigerators? That explains why the Brits drink warm beer :p
Thanks for the link - looks like it might be the one. And you should get over to the UK sometime - we started using refridgerators last year! (Gonna get TV soon as well :D )

07-28-2004, 04:13 PM
Lucas Electrics...Prince of Darkness LOL
Guess what? A bit more digging under the headlining and I found a plug - and it fitted (fit?) the mirror. And it works, brilliant! Thank you all. Tell you what - every single Ford/GM/Jap/what-have-you I've had has always needed major surgery for an upgrade like this, but not BMW. My car even had the rubber grommet to carry the wiring through the headlining to the mirror. Fantastic! :D

Phil M
07-28-2004, 04:20 PM
Guess what? A bit more digging under the headlining and I found a plug - and it fitted (fit?) the mirror. And it works, brilliant! Thank you all. Tell you what - every single Ford/GM/Jap/what-have-you I've had has always needed major surgery for an upgrade like this, but not BMW. My car even had the rubber grommet to carry the wiring through the headlining to the mirror. Fantastic! :D
so our cars have this plug in the sunroof motor area..? makes me really want to get one now.. does the mirror have the garage door buttons too?

07-28-2004, 05:08 PM
so our cars have this plug in the sunroof motor area..? makes me really want to get one now.. does the mirror have the garage door buttons too?

It's really easy to check, (though I had to look twice!) I just dropped the sunroof switch panel and on the drivers (US) side I found a seperate cable ending in a loose plug with ten female pin holes in it - exactly the same as the ten pin male plug on the mirror. The mirror I bought came from an E39 in the states originally (I know 'cos I bid for it on eBAY). The bloke who won it lives about 30 miles up the road from me (and he paid mega bucks!), he obviously couldn't work out what to do with it, and put it back on eBAY - I bought it for approximately $20. Dropped a line to the bimmer board and now have a fully functioning auto dim mirror! Class! As far as I can tell this one only has auto dim and alarm functions - but it is the basic Gentex 117. There are regularly others on eBay etc that have Homelink, Compass etc just keep looking!