PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Sig Pictures?

Jon K
07-27-2004, 10:35 AM
I find it real hard to associate names with vehicles on forums any more. I know Gamite, Bahnstormer, Brandon H, Scott H, BimmerKid, Alan S, TheGeak, etc... but there are a TON of new guys on the board and I am still unable to track who is who. Any one else thing this wouldn't be too much of a big deal? Graphic sigs aren't very bandwidth intensive especially with the way the new vB code works for the forum... everything is just cached. Let's hear it.

Jon K

bimmerd00d
07-27-2004, 10:37 AM
I think i could host the user images to save bandwidth, i can allocate about 100mb to user images, unlimited bandwidth. And i can see if Jon can set up a web based upload utility. What do you guys think?

bahnstormer
07-27-2004, 10:38 AM
yes thank you! please do make graphic sigs ! this is a great feature of the new forum
so lets use it fully...
to avoid 56k complaints just setup dimesion restrictions to say, 500x200 or so

Craig
07-27-2004, 02:05 PM
Count me in as a no vote. I don't like pictures in signatures. Avatars are fine, but sig pics get out of control in a hurry.

DanH
07-27-2004, 02:28 PM
I do not care for signature pictures either.

Anyone that does not like the images can turn them off for signatures, avatars and/or all images on the 'User CP/edit options' page, however I think the signature-off option would remove the entire signature including the text.

AllanS
07-27-2004, 03:26 PM
I'd say go for it if they could be limited to a certain pixel size... maybe the size of the banner on the right hand side of this forum http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php? here. The ones over at, say, bimmerforums, are way too goddamn big. It looks cheesy, whereas a standard size would be classy.

bimmerd00d
07-27-2004, 03:38 PM
http://e34.bimmerd00d.com

There's my beta upload utility. The maximum filesize is 150k, but obviously we want to keep them small. What i was going to do is keep an eye on the images and anything i see that's too large for a sig, i'll contact the owner. Please use your username for the name of the pic.

632 Regal
07-27-2004, 05:29 PM
i think that even the avatars were nixxed because of some people posting improper/NWS images as their avatars. Im not going to mention any names (WINFRED!!!!!!!!!!!!) but they just had to push the buttons and got them shut off for everyone, I think it will be an uphill battle for those things to reappear on here beacuse it has to be family oriented in a way for people that open the forum at work and at home with children. I personally had a hard time explaining why WINFREDS avitars boobs were swinging in circles to my son.

scott540
07-27-2004, 05:36 PM
mmm. Winfre's avitar swingin boobs. I love those

632 Regal
07-27-2004, 06:06 PM
mmm. Winfre's avitar swingin boobs. I love those

bimmerd00d
07-27-2004, 06:14 PM
lol as funny as that was, ti's not appropriate for us work people. I will be monitoring and deleting pics as needed from the sig server if they prove to be inappropriate. But i'd like to get this going asap to test.

scott540
07-27-2004, 06:48 PM
yep, I still visit Winfred's profile every once in a while. Somebody else had one that was similar. I also no to the picture sigs. With the kids running around I really don' t want to explain that. At my house we're still at the "boobs are gross" stage and I'd like to keep it that way for at least a few more years

mikey535im
07-27-2004, 08:06 PM
How about makin' it exclusively the subscribers car? No models allowed!