PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent head unit

Tut
07-27-2004, 06:54 AM
My head unit periodically cuts out. Mostly on FM band. If I change to AM or CD it will typically then play, but not always. Other times it won't play at all when I turn it on. If I leave it on it will eventually play. It seems to be getting worse, with the "change to AM or CD fix" not working. Is it dying? Does something need to be cleaned internally? Can it be repaired, and if so, where? Places to purchase a replacement BMW head unit?

Thanks.

Tut
'94 525iT

George M
07-27-2004, 07:29 AM
before you do anything to the head unit itself you need to check two areas....the interface between the radio and the car harness connector and where the issue is most likely...the car harness where it attachs to the factory amp in the trunk. Intermittent cut out is usually due to the latter. I would start there...pull up the facia covering the amp, remove the connector plug...give it a thorough cleaning with contact cleaner and reassemble. If that doesn't work...pull the radio next. You can tap into the channel outputs of the radio quite easily to assess radio function independent of the amp...or you can pull the radio and have a radio shop do this which would be the first thing they would do to assess function. Also give the radio volume control on/off switch a good cleaning with contact cleaner.
HTH,
George