PDA

View Full Version : Changing intrument cluster?

jplacson
07-26-2004, 09:19 AM
Hey guys... is it possible to just change ONE instrument gauge? Or must the ENTIRE cluster be changed?

I'm being sold a cluster from a 525i, my car is a 520i... I just want the speedo with the dual MPH/KPH face... and since I know all my other gauges work, I don't wanna fiddle with that anymore.

Besides, my odo broke a few months back, and the new one might have a working one.

Has anyone tried swapping from a 525 to a 520? Or a 540 to a 535?

1992 BMW 535i
07-26-2004, 04:02 PM
Freaking good question. Please note that I am trying very hard to hit bigtime poster. :)

myles
07-26-2004, 04:58 PM
By the sound of what you said, I think you may have the instrument cluster with the mechanical odometer. I think the mechanical odo version of the instrument cluster is only found on some of the older diesels and older 520i's and 525i's (I don't know about the 518). Some newer deisels and 520/525 have a basic electronic odometer type of cluster, but most E34s have a full electronic odometer with check control display.

I have swapped the tacho only on my 535 from a donor 525 and had no problem, but they were both full electonic clusters with check control displays.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

jplacson
07-26-2004, 09:59 PM
Yup, I do have the old style mechanical odo... since you've done a transplant before... jsut wondering... is it possible to just change one gauge at a time? I mean, is each gauge a separate piece that can easily be unscrewed, or is changing one gauge something that wasn't intended to be done?

myles
07-26-2004, 11:53 PM
You can remove the gauges as indivdual modules and swap them with some other ones. Over the years they modified the internal design of the clusters and the old ones (88-02/89) are not able to swap parts with the newer ones made after 02/89. I can only say that this is true for the full electronic clusters with check control display, as I have never been able to dismatle any other types of cluster.