PDA

View Full Version : Had my First Ever drive in an M5..(LONG)..Needless to say...

Crusty nz
07-25-2004, 02:21 PM
I was feeling pretty darn Good about my lot after that.Saturday i drove about 3 hrs from home to gather up and remove a complete replacement interior for the 530 ('88 m30).A perfect set of dark grey velour/woodgrain from a '95 530i.Took about 2 1/2 hrs to remove.The donor car was a perfect driver grey import from japan,no longer compliable in NZ.It seemed a crime to be breaking out a perfect twin airbag model vehicle to keep a model 7 yrs older looking good.Not that i mind too much,otherwise I'd have never got the int for my car.When i bought my car 4 yrs ago for $8900 the 95 models were $35-40k.Anyway after the stripout,we went back to M J's (the seller's) place to see his new toy.A '92 LHD M5.From here a very good day just got better.I had only seen maybe 3 M5's ever prior to this let alone been for a ride.Off we went for a drive around the twisting lake roads of Rotorua.Very impressive 'pin you back in your seat stuff'.Then he pulled over and announced. "Well mate,you've had your first ride in an M5, Now drive it!"I needed no encouragement.LHD on RHD roads (incl gear lever in opposite hand) felt a bit odd but never the less,the stupid grin on my face after about 15 mins behind the wheel was probably still there after the 2 1/2 hr journey home.I now see what all the fuss is about with the M5.Cheer's and thanks for listening.My wife just didn't understand when I told her!

bahnstormer
07-25-2004, 03:46 PM
sounds awesome! i'm still an m5 virgin =\
gotta get me a local guy who's willin to let
me drive it! at 20 years old, its hard though =]

Elekta
07-25-2004, 04:42 PM
funny how being in 3rd at about 2200 rpms and then flooring it will let you know you're not driving your basic e34. It's kinda like drinking a $75 Montepulciano (sp)...as it spoils your average table red wine from here on out.

at least you know now though.

I was in a grey market 84 m6 right when they first came out, and that was truly impressive.

bjl4776
07-25-2004, 10:20 PM
A girls in my glass in high school had a father that had an e39 M5. The father said whoever taught his daughter to drive a stick could drive his M5 around for awhile. As much as she must of ****ed up my brand new clutch it was worth it. Damn that 400 horses was fast, and at 16 too, hehe.

Rick L
07-25-2004, 10:33 PM
Never seen E34 M5 on the street before. I hope one shows up at the Midwest E34 Meet. :D I been in E39 M5 and that thing is a rocket. 0-60 in 4.6 seconds sound about right. We smoked a newer Corvette. The guy in the Vette couldn’t believe it! :p

winfred
07-25-2004, 10:35 PM
fastest bimmer i've been in, dinan e28 m5 turbo 425hp it roasted em at 70

bahnstormer
07-25-2004, 11:34 PM
that's just stupid fun!
spin the tires at 70mph....
not fast enough though if u ask me...

DanDombrowski
07-26-2004, 09:17 AM
I got the m5 up to 115 on a 45 mph road and the z8 up to about 90.

Beautiful cars.

The owner would let me take out his BMWs as much as I wanted, he never kept them more than a couple months, he was always trading them in for new cars, so he didn't care if they were abused. He traded in the M5 for the E55 last I heard, and "supposedly" had a Ferrari 550 Marnello on the way. I say supposedly because the guy definitely had the cash, but didn't own any other ferraris, and I'm pretty sure for a car like that you have to have previously owned a couple of their cars if I'm not mistaken. I guess when you have that kind of cash though you can pay someone else to buy it for you. The Z8 of his had 27 miles on it when I got to take it out.

I was feeling pretty darn Good about my lot after that.Saturday i drove about 3 hrs from home to gather up and remove a complete replacement interior for the 530 ('88 m30).A perfect set of dark grey velour/woodgrain from a '95 530i.Took about 2 1/2 hrs to remove.The donor car was a perfect driver grey import from japan,no longer compliable in NZ.It seemed a crime to be breaking out a perfect twin airbag model vehicle to keep a model 7 yrs older looking good.Not that i mind too much,otherwise I'd have never got the int for my car.When i bought my car 4 yrs ago for $8900 the 95 models were $35-40k.Anyway after the stripout,we went back to M J's (the seller's) place to see his new toy.A '92 LHD M5.From here a very good day just got better.I had only seen maybe 3 M5's ever prior to this let alone been for a ride.Off we went for a drive around the twisting lake roads of Rotorua.Very impressive 'pin you back in your seat stuff'.Then he pulled over and announced. "Well mate,you've had your first ride in an M5, Now drive it!"I needed no encouragement.LHD on RHD roads (incl gear lever in opposite hand) felt a bit odd but never the less,the stupid grin on my face after about 15 mins behind the wheel was probably still there after the 2 1/2 hr journey home.I now see what all the fuss is about with the M5.Cheer's and thanks for listening.My wife just didn't understand when I told her!