PDA

View Full Version : the making of a 645csi (E-24).....

George M
07-25-2004, 08:18 AM
Gents,
One of the truly great aspects of our hobby are the really unique people that are involved. Here is a link I think every gear head will thoroughly enjoy as I have. The following is a website that belongs to Saemundur Stefansson from Iceland. He is a gifted builder of BMW's on a budget and not afraid to build the kind of car he wants by kluging parts from other BMW's. Take a minute and review his recent project...the building of a 645csi...where he takes a normally aspirated M-30 635 and rebuilds/installs a donor motor from an E-23 turbo 745i mated to an E-28 M5 Getrag 5 speed. Note how he removed installed the 6 series motor. Be sure to read his bio...real interesting guy as we have traded some e-mails in the past. BTW Iceland is magnificient and touted to have some of the most beautiful women in the world.
Enjoy,
George
the link:
http://www.islandia.is/smu/structure/index.html

JoeS
07-25-2004, 09:51 AM
Thanks again George for providing another jewel to enjoy! Where do you find the time to discover all this wealth of information and enter into all sorts of correspondence? You are a time management 'grand master'.

Thanks again....

Joe

George M
07-25-2004, 10:21 AM
mostly early in the morning Joe...I am an early riser and like to indulge my passion for BMW's with my coffee while others are sleeping or reading the paper. I inherited my father's gift for writing so posting for me is pretty effortless. The thing you learn is you only get out of anything what you put in. Sharing Saemundur's wonderful website is what this board is all about and pays multiple dividends back as it promotes further discusion. The field I work in is engineering and its all about multi-tasking and time management. There are a lot of levels out there...if you aren't adept at both, you can't survive. One of the fascinating aspect of life is talent. In the above article in the context of BMW's...as much as I know...by comparison Saemundur puts me to shame...a very creative guy. Bruno is another that most know on this board that is highly creative and industrious...the two generaly go together...terrific web designer, bi-lingual and a gormmet chef...think they call that talent. The fact is...about those totally immersed in the BMW hobby at the exclusion of other things...like Saemundur for example...he likely can't hit a high feathery fade to a tight pin position or a hard rope hook around a tree when he has too but I can't fly an airplane either :-)
George

genphreak
04-07-2007, 05:34 PM
I wanted to revive this thread so that new people that have never seen the website that it is about could a) get a look and b) read George Ms comments which are most pertinent to anyone immersed in these passions.
In addition to the George's point about making a decent site about what you love ie (bmwe34.net) this is another site that, in terms of being truly informative and focused on the subject is probably the best in its field; cooking: It is http://www.cookingforengineers.com, which, for those of us that eat but specifically those that enjoy eating, is an awesome site. Be sure to dig deep as the level of discussion and detail on ingredients and recipes will amaze you the more you use it.

It is not commercial, is written by a passionate enthusiast and is quite simply the best site in its field on the 'Net. Not that food should take anything away from one's work on a great Bimmer.... :) Nick

Robin-535im
04-07-2007, 10:37 PM
I wanted to revive this thread so that new people that have never seen the website that it is about could a) get a look and b) read George Ms comments which are most pertinent to anyone immersed in these passions.

Glad you revived it, I must have missed it first time around but it's always great to see pics of a rebuild. Nice looking 645 he has there.

Nick.Hay
04-07-2007, 11:29 PM
WoW!!

That is cool!!

It certainly would be an awesome project... The fnishing project would make it all worthwhile.

Nice revival too Genphreak.