PDA

View Full Version : Auto Climate Control: Blower only runs at full speed

Black530i
07-24-2004, 11:36 AM
In my 1988 M30-530i, fitted with A/C and auto climate control, the blower motor only works when I turn the blower-speed-dial all the way to full-power (when the dial is moved past the "click").

If it's in an intermediate setting, it will work for about 1-3 minutes after starting the (cold) car. Then it will die and afterwards only the max-power setting will work.

Any ideas on how to solve this nasty bug ? (full-power blower makes too much noise for everyday use and A/C is quite cold at full-power :( ).

Thanks in advance,

Joop,
The Netherlands

DueyT
07-24-2004, 11:41 AM
Joop, your "SWORD" is dying...like mine too! >:-(

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/Maintenance/Electrical/Sword.htm

It's either a $5 repair (do it yourself) or a $150 part to replace.

Cheers,
Duey

Bill R.
07-24-2004, 11:42 AM
Here on Bruno's site you can find some info about repairing or replacing it.
Your's is going to be the sword type Check here (http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Maintenance/Electrical/Sword.htm)

Sorry Duey, guess i'm a little slow today...

In my 1988 M30-530i, fitted with A/C and auto climate control, the blower motor only works when I turn the blower-speed-dial all the way to full-power (when the dial is moved past the "click").

If it's in an intermediate setting, it will work for about 1-3 minutes after starting the (cold) car. Then it will die and afterwards only the max-power setting will work.

Any ideas on how to solve this nasty bug ? (full-power blower makes too much noise for everyday use and A/C is quite cold at full-power :( ).

Thanks in advance,

Joop,
The Netherlands

DueyT
07-24-2004, 11:53 AM
:D

Don't worry Bill, I had a second though after I posted and was wondering if Joop might have had the resistor pack.

BTW, Bill...have you done the repair deal to the sword? I'm at the 1-2-3 works most of the time but definitely cuts out after a while. That and the "my car is catching on fire" smell a few days ago... Time to get out the old soldering iron and visit RadioShack, methinks!

Cheers,
Duey

Bill R.
07-24-2004, 01:28 PM
it from someone on the e32 board years ago, but i am definitely not an electronics tech and my repair on my own didn't last long and still didn't function quite like I thought it should so i bought a brand new unit from eurasian for 150... that was a new behr one not rebuilt... but this was a couple of years ago so I'm sure that its more now... Someone with a working knowledge of electronics repair i'm sure could do a better job than i did...

:D

Don't worry Bill, I had a second though after I posted and was wondering if Joop might have had the resistor pack.

BTW, Bill...have you done the repair deal to the sword? I'm at the 1-2-3 works most of the time but definitely cuts out after a while. That and the "my car is catching on fire" smell a few days ago... Time to get out the old soldering iron and visit RadioShack, methinks!

Cheers,
Duey

Black530i
07-25-2004, 07:44 AM
Thanks a lot for your tips :) . I'll check out the sword or resistors.
Joop