PDA

View Full Version : Interesting note on the circuit boards used on japanese cars... In the past I

Bill R.
07-24-2004, 10:53 AM
thought it was just german cars that had the crappy solder joints on the boards that cracked, I was working on a 190k mile honda accord yesterday and had to replace the pgfm main relay.. the relay that controls the fuel injection and pump.... nobody had one in stock so I took it apart and found the same circular cracks that volvo, bmw and mercedes fuel pump relays get..
Resoldered the board and all is fine now... The same honda had a bad door lock module, I took it apart and it was very badly cracked where the relay is attached to the board, resolder and good to go... As you can see here the cracks aren't as obvious as on bmw but they are still there..
http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/hondapgfm%20copy.jpg

winfred
07-24-2004, 11:24 AM
mabie they are getting their solder from the same crappy place. by the way the new weller gas iron kicks ass, much better then the old one

Bill R.
07-24-2004, 11:39 AM
not impressed so far....

mabie they are getting their solder from the same crappy place. by the way the new weller gas iron kicks ass, much better then the old one

winfred
07-24-2004, 11:52 AM
i saw the adds for it and the potential for dissapointment looked impressive. the old weller uses a flint lighter and the new one has has a piezo ignition, the old one works ok but on the two i've had i don't think the gas valve ever quite worked right and the catylist tips wear out and get hard to light. lowes has the new one for $30 with one tip, i got mine from snapon for a $100 with all of the tips torches blowers and anything else that'll atach to it