PDA

View Full Version : cooling system leaks - hidden - how do I find source of leak?

notesguy
07-24-2004, 08:02 AM
You guys helped me with bleeding the system. It overheated again and found a puddle after it sat hot for a while.

Any tricks or tips to finding the source of the leak?

Thanks.

PhilipJCaputo
07-27-2004, 10:22 AM
I just finished up a coolant leak a couple of weekends ago. As it turned out, I had to replace the thermostat cover, the thermostat, upper & lower radiator hoses, and last but not least, the radiator itself.

I'd suggest starting off by spraying down your radiator and hoses with a garden hose, this will clean everything off, and help you spot the source of the leak. After the coolant dries it will leave this white looking residue.

You might want to take off the front splash pannel thing, this will let more light in, and also you can check out the bottom of the radiator but getting up under there.

I guess another thing to think about is where in relation to the engine the puddle is. If its up front, it could be a different problem from near the back of the engine.

Good luck!

632 Regal
07-27-2004, 05:53 PM
can you post what you have done so far to this car as i do not remember and cannot search for an annonomous post.

PaulJ
07-27-2004, 05:57 PM
How can you tell he is anonymous? Looks like he is registered to me but I really don't know much about that sort of thing.

Paul