PDA

View Full Version : Removing fan: finding the right tool

rph
07-23-2004, 12:02 PM
I am having trouble finding a way to remove the fan because the gap between the pulley bolts and the fan is too narrow to allow off-the-shelf tools to fit. I have tried a large el cheapo adjustable wrench, and a Craftsman 32 mm metric open ended wrench, unsuccessfully (luckily, I walked back into Sears and got a refund when I tried their tool out in the car park -- I know I know, I could have asked for a refund even if it fit! Those suckers ain't cheap -- $25.99+ tax ouch). On my old 1990 e34 I could get the adjustable wrench in there, but on this 1991 model the gap appears to be slightly less, for some reason. Any advice, besides delegating the job of swapping out belts to my regular mechanic?

Hector
07-23-2004, 12:05 PM
sand it down to the right thickness. Worked great.

bfd
07-23-2004, 12:06 PM
You need a 32mm thin head bicycle headset wrench. You can get one at any bicycle shop for anywhere between $5-15 or go to Park Tools and get one for $3 here:

http://www.parktool.com/store/index.cgi?action=show_products&category=d

rph
07-23-2004, 12:14 PM
It did cross my mind to have the wrench ground down thinner, but the bike tool seems a better way to go. You can't beat $3. Thanks for the tip.

You need a 32mm thin head bicycle headset wrench. You can get one at any bicycle shop for anywhere between $5-15 or go to Park Tools and get one for $3 here:

http://www.parktool.com/store/index.cgi?action=show_products&category=d

califblue
07-23-2004, 02:32 PM
remember is is a reverse thread!
I replaced my fan clutch last week and just used a pair of channel locks to un-loosed it.
If not a sharp smack with a hammer on the end of the wrench should free it up. my .02

rph
07-23-2004, 02:58 PM
Channel locks rule! Did the trick.

remember is is a reverse thread!
I replaced my fan clutch last week and just used a pair of channel locks to un-loosed it.
If not a sharp smack with a hammer on the end of the wrench should free it up. my .02

632 Regal
07-24-2004, 12:10 AM
I had a problem of the pully spinnin on the belts, winfred posted a pic of his special tool he uses and I made an even cheaper more responsive one ill have to send him soon.