PDA

View Full Version : Squealing Brakes

hdaemon
07-22-2004, 11:01 PM
So it seems as though the brakes on my '90 535i are squealing like mad. Whenever I'm driving around town at low speed (Boston, so it's very much stop and go), the car makes a squealing noise just like noisy brakes, except it doesn't matter if you're on the brake or not. In fact, as soon as you touch the brakes, the noise stops. Any suggestions as to what might be causing the noise, and what I need to do to fix it? New pads (Pagid), and rotors (ATE PowerDisc) about 10k ago.

jplacson
07-23-2004, 03:18 AM
I have a similar symptom... I suspect the calipers aren't aligned properly. I'm scheduled for some suspension work soon (it's been taking forever since the parts haven't arrived yet), will let you know if a caliper adjustment will fix mine.

hdaemon
07-23-2004, 07:31 AM
I have a similar symptom... I suspect the calipers aren't aligned properly. I'm scheduled for some suspension work soon (it's been taking forever since the parts haven't arrived yet), will let you know if a caliper adjustment will fix mine.

I kind of wondered if it might have something to do with misaligned/faulty calipers. Unfortunately, where I'm at right now I have no way of checking checking without paying someone else to do it, so it's currently waiting until my finances can afford it.

bahnstormer
07-23-2004, 07:09 PM
so when u're driving they noisey, but when u brake they stop?
prolly got a rock stuck in there...=]

Rick L
07-25-2004, 08:58 PM
I had similar problem. It wasn’t a BMW E34 but same difference… I had a sticky piston in my caliper. I had the caliper cleaned. NO MORE SQUEAK. :)

So it seems as though the brakes on my '90 535i are squealing like mad. Whenever I'm driving around town at low speed (Boston, so it's very much stop and go), the car makes a squealing noise just like noisy brakes, except it doesn't matter if you're on the brake or not. In fact, as soon as you touch the brakes, the noise stops. Any suggestions as to what might be causing the noise, and what I need to do to fix it? New pads (Pagid), and rotors (ATE PowerDisc) about 10k ago.