PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Oil Filter Garbage.....

PhilipJCaputo
07-22-2004, 07:18 PM
So I'm going to change my OIL, I pick up 7 quarts of 0w40, then I go hunting for the correct filter....

But the only one I can find is a Purolator brand... At advanced auto parts

Purolator, Yeah or Nay??

UPDATE:

It looks like the oil was last changed about 7000 miles ago with valvoline 15w40(indicated by the dash light things)...... I just looked I've got that mahn oil filter, changed at the same time the oil was last changed.... Do I NEED to change the oil filter right now?? what if I drove a little with the old filter, and changed the filter in a few days?? (granted it will be several thousand road miles later)

ryan roopnarine
07-22-2004, 07:56 PM
purolator is a better proposition than fram.......just make sure that you open the box before you buy, and make sure that it looks physically correct and contains the right hardware. the problem with the m50 motor is that every autoparts place SAYS they sell a filter for it, but when you open the box, it is a screw on filter for a m20 (despite saying m50 in the lookup). i couldn't get an oil filter for my last conventional change, so the filter will have been in there for 7000 miles (on 2 3k mile conventional 10w40 changes.) the german parts place was closed, so i just gave up and reused it.

So I'm going to change my OIL, I pick up 7 quarts of 0w40, then I go hunting for the correct filter....

But the only one I can find is a Purolator brand... At advanced auto parts

Purolator, Yeah or Nay??

UPDATE:

It looks like the oil was last changed about 7000 miles ago with valvoline 15w40(indicated by the dash light things)...... I just looked I've got that mahn oil filter, changed at the same time the oil was last changed.... Do I NEED to change the oil filter right now?? what if I drove a little with the old filter, and changed the filter in a few days?? (granted it will be several thousand road miles later)

winfred
07-22-2004, 08:40 PM
i think one of those old kits that let you use a roll of toilet paper is a better proposition then fram

purolator is a better proposition than fram

ryan roopnarine
07-22-2004, 08:47 PM
i wonder if the fram problems even come into play with the bmw cartridge type filters, as all they are is media and no bypass valve or any of the other crap that fram cheaps out on...if i could find a fram for my car, that is. i think somebody on bobistheoilguy.com said they tried out the toilet paper thing and got an analysis on the used oil and it wasn't that bad.

i think one of those old kits that let you use a roll of toilet paper is a better proposition then fram

winfred
07-22-2004, 08:55 PM
i've found several m50 oil filters that just disentegrated into papery sludge but unfortunatly they don't have any markings on the end caps to id them

PhilipJCaputo
07-22-2004, 09:12 PM
m60 in the 95 530i

ryan roopnarine
07-22-2004, 09:15 PM
m60 in the 95 530i

i know that, its just that its a "fancy boy" ferrigner car, and you might save yourself a headache if you check the box for a cartridge filter that looks like it somewhat remotely stands a chance of working in your car.

DueyT
07-22-2004, 10:56 PM
Philip, all I get for mine are MANN with the internal half-height sleeve to keep oil for the start-up. It's odd that you can only get Purolator...although I've heard they're not bad for the fleet filters they make for class 6 and 7 diesel trucks used by the biggie couriers...FedEx. UPS, etc...

I'd uses the Purolator, then stick in a MANN when you're able to get one....

Mein zwei centen...

Cheers,
Duey

PhilipJCaputo
07-22-2004, 11:38 PM
I was thinking about picking up a mann at the dealer tomorrow (I'm sure htey'll have one), and then changing the oil after that......

bimmerd00d
07-23-2004, 12:37 AM
i use STP filters from Auto Zone, they seem to work fine, been using them for about 90k, and they always seem to do fine.

David Chen
07-23-2004, 09:17 AM
It's more important to change the oil than the filter. The filter only traps particles that are a certain size or larger. The smaller particles that pass through the filter are held in suspension in the oil. Once the oil is full of particles, sludge will start to build up in the engine -- which makes Amsoil's claim of 25K mile oil changes with more frequent filter changes even more ludicrous!

Cheers,

David

I was thinking about picking up a mann at the dealer tomorrow (I'm sure htey'll have one), and then changing the oil after that......

DanDombrowski
07-23-2004, 12:34 PM

Mabye the mann you pick up can help you change the oil too? Unless he wants to be the womann.

Ok, I'm sorry, I know it was corny, but it was right there.

All I saw was "I was thinking about picking up a mann..." and couldn't stop laughing.

Peace

632 Regal
07-23-2004, 12:35 PM
yes get a filter from the dealer than change the oil, did you check to see if the filter has the upgraded insert in it? Might want to check that out before you go or maybe just pick up the upgrade dildo when you get the filter for a couple bucks more instead of finding out later that the filter wont work...been there done that.

PhilipJCaputo
07-23-2004, 01:21 PM
I pulled the filter and I'm pretty sure it has the upgrade insert.... I didn't pull the insert out, but there was something on the bottom of the filter that appeared to go up inside the filter......

So I'm pick'n up a filter tonight at the dealer, and then change'n the oil in the morning....

the drain bolt... thats pretty straight forward to find? I'm thinking I know where it is, but it sure would suck to drain some other fluid....

yes get a filter from the dealer than change the oil, did you check to see if the filter has the upgraded insert in it? Might want to check that out before you go or maybe just pick up the upgrade dildo when you get the filter for a couple bucks more instead of finding out later that the filter wont work...been there done that.

winfred
07-23-2004, 01:32 PM
and it's ribbed too

just pick up the upgrade dildo when you get the filter for a couple bucks more been there done that.

Robin-535im
07-23-2004, 01:37 PM
Mabye the mann you pick up can help you change the oil too? Unless he wants to be the womann.

Ok, I'm sorry, I know it was corny, but it was right there.

All I saw was "I was thinking about picking up a mann..." and couldn't stop laughing.

Peace

winfred
07-23-2004, 01:39 PM
for the love of god that's a exit!!!

Maybe the Mann can "check your oil" too..

632 Regal
07-23-2004, 02:00 PM
in the box.

PhilipJCaputo
07-23-2004, 02:10 PM
I figured, but at the same time I was wondering what that little metal washer was for (bought an oil filter at car quest (taking it back to use the one from the dealer))

Thanks again for the help, I really appreciate it!

yep drainbolts obvious, youll get a new O ring and bolt washer with the filter too, in the box.