PDA

View Full Version : newbie

kevind89e34
07-22-2004, 05:58 AM
hey guys, new to the forum (have been watching it for a while though). i just purchased my first 89 e34 (79,000/auto). it needs the typical thrust arm etc replacement. besides that, this car is great. no explanation needed.

i want to start doing my own work on this car, but i dont have a repair manual yet. can somebody tell me the torque specs for the valve cover and plugs?

also, i have been reading about the "slush box" and how they are not that great. has anybody put a trans cooler on?
thanks for the help and other info
kevin

billb
07-22-2004, 07:01 AM
hey guys, new to the forum (have been watching it for a while though). i just purchased my first 89 e34 (79,000/auto). it needs the typical thrust arm etc replacement. besides that, this car is great. no explanation needed.

i want to start doing my own work on this car, but i dont have a repair manual yet. can somebody tell me the torque specs for the valve cover and plugs?

also, i have been reading about the "slush box" and how they are not that great. has anybody put a trans cooler on?
thanks for the help and other info
kevin

You'll want to find a Bentley E34 manual to help you along. There's also a great reference site at Bruno's www.bmwe34.net. I don't recall the torque specs right off hand for the valve cover or plugs, but 10 ft. lbs rings a bell for the valve cover, and 18 for the plugs. Don't hold me to that-someone will chime in with the right specs for sure. And I believe most slushbox 525i's already have a tranny cooler (not entirely sure about your M20 version). On my '95 525ia M50, it's mounted in front of the radiator (somewhat attached). I have 119k on mine, but your mileage may vary. I have the fluid and filter changed every 30k (got one coming up at 120k).

Again, welcome (and thanks for registering!)
Bill B.

632 Regal
07-22-2004, 12:16 PM
heres a link to all the books here (http://www.bimmer.info/bimmerbooks/)

and this one in particular is the one you NEED must have (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0837603196/crappiefishing)

If you buy it (them?) through these links a portion of the price is donated to a very good cause.

The slushbox doesnt need any additional coolers or modifications, just change the filter and the fluid that you lose during the change every 25 thousand miles.

DaCan23
07-22-2004, 01:53 PM
Welcome... Ed.. Posts 1-25 s/b Newbie... 25-50.. Senior Newbie..

winfred
07-22-2004, 03:15 PM
on the valve cover nuts just use a small wrench or 1/4 drive ratchet and use only wrist power, i just did a m42 318 motor build that i had to install 17 heli coils in the head because the former owner/mechanic didn't know when to quit. the package for the plugs should tell you torque, i feel them in, i've done so many i can snug them in till i have just squashed the crush washer (usually 1/2-3/4 turn past contact. the radiator has a trans cooler built in but you can bypass it if you want more, i installed a cooler from a e36 325 when i put a bigger 540 radiator in my 535 because the 540 radiator doesn't have a internal cooler, i just kept about a foot of the e36 metal lines and cut and flared them and double clamped them to the 535s rubber lines