PDA

View Full Version : Self Dim Rear View Mirror w/ Univ Transmitter 4Sale

MOtis
07-21-2004, 05:53 PM
http:// I have gone to the dark side (purchased an e39, 2001, when my great e34 was t-boned and totalled). I walked away amazingly, but was quite sad to have my car killed.

Among the fallout was a couple special projects.

I have an e39 auto dimming (chromatic) mirror ($100 used) that also has incorporated in it a BWM universal 3 code transmitter (~$150) that looks like the newer Mercedes mirrors. Installation is about 15-20 minutes: twists in on current e34 winshield mount, but 3 wires have to be jumpered into the nearby overhead light assembly.

Looks totally professional and works great. Universal transmitter replaces most garage door transimtters. I have detailed installation instructions and original BMW transmitter programming instructions.

I'm thinking $100 + a couple bucks shipping, depending on where you are.

If interested, email me at michael.otis@honeywell.com.

MOtis
01 540i, ex 94 540i :(

Don McAdams
07-22-2004, 04:39 PM
Anyway you could post what wires you jumped to power the alarm light in the mirror?

Any help appreciated!

TIA-

MOtis
07-22-2004, 05:07 PM
I pulled out the overhead light panel (snaps out when pried from the drivers side carefully). Poking around the insullation (and sunroof motor on mine) I found a single loose 3 wire plug. This was for an optional dimming mirror I beleive. Anyway, the three wires are ground (brown), +12v switched with ingnition (yellow, I think) and reverse gear sense (+12v when in reverse, gray or purple, I think). The reverse sense is used for not dimming when driving in reverse.

My mirror has a mating plug for the loose headliner plug. Other applications (radar, phone stuff, transmitters, etc) can pull off this as long as it is not a heavy draw. It is on one of the interior light fuses.

Hope this helps.

MikeO
01 540i, ex 94 540i

Anyway you could post what wires you jumped to power the alarm light in the mirror?

Any help appreciated!

TIA-

MOtis
07-22-2004, 05:11 PM
Just to clarify, this was not for an alarm. You might be thinking of something else. My mirror did not have the red alarm light, just the chromatic dimming plus the universal transitter and small buttons I added.

Mike O
01 540i

Any help appreciated!

TIA-