PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about changing color on my wheels...

Derek A.
07-20-2004, 08:57 PM
I was planning on changing from gold to silver. Was just going to go a 3m pad scuff and then go over with duplicolor wheel paint and some clear. Anyone see a problem or issues with this approach ? The wheel finish righ now is really quite good, I just have not grown to like the color all that much.

http://www.opus45.com/pics/P3300011.JPG

Thanks !

AllanS
07-21-2004, 08:54 AM
If the finish is good now, I would leave it- you're never going to get a good result using an abrasive pad, and then simply repainting. If you really can't stand the gold (I like it), I would sell them and buy a new set, or have them refinished at a place that specializes in repairing damaged wheels. They would strip it of the old gold, and then paint it properly- primer, paint, and clear.

If you leave the gold rims on, I would have the chrome pieces redone in gold so they match the wheels. Make sure you get the grill and "525i" logo too :P

Rick L
07-21-2004, 10:50 AM
Many body shop or rim repair places would not strip the gold paint. They would just primer over it and then paint it (if not damaged).

If the finish is good now, I would leave it- you're never going to get a good result using an abrasive pad, and then simply repainting. If you really can't stand the gold (I like it), I would sell them and buy a new set, or have them refinished at a place that specializes in repairing damaged wheels. They would strip it of the old gold, and then paint it properly- primer, paint, and clear.

If you leave the gold rims on, I would have the chrome pieces redone in gold so they match the wheels. Make sure you get the grill and "525i" logo too :P

AllanS
07-21-2004, 01:00 PM
Mine were completely stripped, primered, and repainted. That's the only experience I have with it.

Derek A.
07-21-2004, 09:28 PM
At $25 a wheel I could not pass them up.. even if I need to refinish them.