PDA

View Full Version : Outside Temp display gone mad

rph
07-20-2004, 04:21 PM
I'm getting readings below absolute zero all of a sudden. The display will sit on some crazy negative number, like -873 deg F, then it will step up to zero in increments, then plunge back to seriously cold (except its NC hot outside). Is this the sensor gone bad, and if so, where is it located? Mr Bentley doesn't seem to say much on this topic. All other OBC functions seem fine.

Jeff N.
07-20-2004, 04:33 PM
You likely have some water in the harness plug. The harness plug is right behind the temp sensor. Unplug it and blow the water out. Sometimes takes a day or two to recover.

rph
07-20-2004, 04:35 PM
Where is the temp sensor located?

You likely have some water in the harness plug. The harness plug is right behind the temp sensor. Unplug it and blow the water out. Sometimes takes a day or two to recover.

JonE
07-20-2004, 04:58 PM
A small plastic panel with a "hole" in it next to the driver's side foglight. You'll see the sensor pointing throught the hole.

ryan roopnarine
07-20-2004, 05:02 PM
http://bmwe32.student.utwente.nl/johan/OBC_temp/OBC_temp.html

dunno if this will help on your particular car......

rph
07-20-2004, 05:11 PM
Thanks Jon. It is possible some coolant got into the harness plug. I was fooling around changing the coolant, and had a leaking radiator plug temporarily until I discovered the old gasket had stuck to the radiator, and it just didn't like having two gaskets. I'll look into it.

A small plastic panel with a "hole" in it next to the driver's side foglight. You'll see the sensor pointing throught the hole.

George M
07-20-2004, 05:20 PM
great link Ryan...courtesy of Johan...big bimmer friend over the pond.
George

rph
07-21-2004, 06:41 AM
Thanks Ryan. I didn't see your post until this morning when I noticed George's comment. Sorry. As I was driving to a seminar last night (before I could investigate further) the temp display began reading normally again. Looks like the harness connector is the place to begin looking when this happens. Johan's pics were interesting. I'll take a closer look later today.

great link Ryan...courtesy of Johan...big bimmer friend over the pond.
George