PDA

View Full Version : WTB: 14 mm differential oil socket......

ryan roopnarine
07-20-2004, 02:50 PM
two puncture wounds in my palms (as well as 1/2 can of pb blaster later), i've decided that i can appreciate the efficiency of a single utility diff. socket :D anybody know where i can buy one? preferrably 1/2 drive. i don't think anybody's touched the rear end oil in this car in 50k miles, its on there sooo tight that my vice grips are ruined :( i would rather not fab down a allen key, as i'm at my apartment, and have no such means at my disposal. id rather not drive the car on the highway until i change the rear end oil (growling), so i can't get home to get at any (and the cycle repeats).

Tiger
07-20-2004, 03:11 PM
allen key and a hammer didn't work? Using hammer to "impact" the bolt loose? Or, you can do this... get a 2 or 3 footer galvanized pipe that fits the allen key just right... slip it in and allen key and you got a allen socket with a breaker bar equivalence.

ryan roopnarine
07-20-2004, 03:19 PM
the allen key doesn't fit the fill hole unless you grind it down, and using the hex head bolt and vice grips just ruined the vice grips, especially after i put the breaker bar on the twisty part of the vice grips.

ryan roopnarine
07-20-2004, 03:23 PM
i just called the ger. parts people i usually buy from in orlando, they only have a 17 mm oil socket. ill try bavarian AS now, as their catalogue doesn't list one in 14 mm....

Robin-535im
07-20-2004, 03:26 PM
the allen key doesn't fit the fill hole unless you grind it down, and using the hex head bolt and vice grips just ruined the vice grips, especially after i put the breaker bar on the twisty part of the vice grips.

Maybe you did this already... I just got a big allen key (like 8") and cut off the end, then I had a little stub I could stick in the female end of the diff bolt and turn the other end with a 14mm box end wrench.

You can get a metal-cutting blade for your grinder or circular saw for a few bucks at home depo. Don't have a circular saw, you say? What kind of man doesn't have a circular saw! Go buy one! :)

- Robin

ryan roopnarine
07-20-2004, 03:31 PM
what the hell!???! bavarian doesn't have one either! i figured they would at least one gold plated OEM one for the low low price of 149.99, like all of the other crap that you could get from bma for 10 or 15 dollars. robin, i have a circular saw about 100 miles away, it don't get much use in an apartment setting, so i don't happen to have it with me :D i guess it wouldn't kill me to drive another 300 miles on it, i just don't like having it make the noises its making now.

JonE
07-20-2004, 03:58 PM
Ryan,
I know you probably thought of this but you'll want to take the "fill" plug out first, especially if they are that tight. You don't want to get the drain plug out, empty the diff. case then not be able to get the fill plug out! This was definately a "bloody knuckle" job for me as the allen wrench with the pipe over it finally "gave" after wacking on the pipe. As soon as it "gave" it was quite easy to get out. Good luck!

Tiger
07-20-2004, 04:07 PM
I have a 14mm allen with 1/2" drive I think... but that socket is very long... the tool is like almost 2.5" long... Find someone with a sawzall and cut that key down shorter if that is what you need.

Tiger
07-20-2004, 04:12 PM
Sounds like you didn't get a 14mm allen key... maybe SAE.

George Davis
07-20-2004, 04:25 PM
There's a Mercedes oil service tool that might work, but it's not real cheap. Look for HZ 2760 at the following site:

http://www.samstagsales.com/mercedes.htm

Haven't done the diff oil myself yet so I can't say for sure.

Warren N.CA
07-20-2004, 04:44 PM
NT

two puncture wounds in my palms (as well as 1/2 can of pb blaster later), i've decided that i can appreciate the efficiency of a single utility diff. socket :D anybody know where i can buy one? preferrably 1/2 drive. i don't think anybody's touched the rear end oil in this car in 50k miles, its on there sooo tight that my vice grips are ruined :( i would rather not fab down a allen key, as i'm at my apartment, and have no such means at my disposal. id rather not drive the car on the highway until i change the rear end oil (growling), so i can't get home to get at any (and the cycle repeats).

ryan roopnarine
07-20-2004, 04:47 PM
i believe that those are SAE, not metric pieces, as i was there earlier today looking for one. if i get desperate enough, maybe....

NT

ryan roopnarine
07-20-2004, 04:51 PM
thanks to everyone that ocntriubted, im going to a specialty tool store tomorrow. if i can't find it, ill wait till i go home, and just grind something down to fit (or pay somebody to do it)...

David Chen
07-20-2004, 05:21 PM
Just get a 14mm hex socket and remove the set screw that holds the 14mm bit. Then place one end of the bit in a 14mm box wrench with the other end in the diff plug. Whack with a hammer and it will break loose.

mikey535im
07-20-2004, 05:46 PM
I too purchased an allen socket only to find that the allen portion was too long. So I removed the tiny allen set screw that held it in the socket and along with a wrench and a piece of pipe was able to remove it with no problems.
Mike

Tiger
07-20-2004, 05:50 PM
That's what I meant... too long of a socket. But what I don't understand is putting the short end of allen key and use the long end plus a pipe to loosen it. Then again Ryan said his 14mm allen key doesn't fit! Which leads to shitty allen key or someone placed an SAE allen key into that package Ryan bought.

ryan roopnarine
07-20-2004, 06:01 PM
where did you guys get allen sockets held in with set screws? ill just go buy one of those and use the 14 mm socket or box to open it up if it isn't a one off from a local place.

ryan roopnarine
07-20-2004, 06:03 PM
oh, and for anybody lookin in the future

the following places DO NOT sell tools or tools that can be adapted to fit this oriface, perhaps it will help someone

as of 07/2004

carquest
bumper to bumper
autozone
home depot
lowes

more to come as places are ruled out.

dave b
07-20-2004, 06:55 PM
The 14mm allen key I bought from sears was still too big to go in straight; it was at an angle and was stripping the bolt as I tried to break the seal.

I ended up slicing a 14mm allen socket with a Sawzall and then driving to Jiffy Lube where the guy used a 4 foot breaker bar to loosen the bolt for me, as mine would not budge. I tipped him, then went on my way to change my own diff fluid.

Tiger
07-20-2004, 07:18 PM
I can't remember where I bought it... I believe it was a mom & pop's auto store. Check with NAPA... Snap-On online... or chase one of those tool truck.

Rory
07-20-2004, 11:07 PM
oh, and for anybody lookin in the future

the following places DO NOT sell tools or tools that can be adapted to fit this oriface, perhaps it will help someone

as of 07/2004

carquest
bumper to bumper
autozone
home depot
lowes

more to come as places are ruled out.
In the future you can save yourself some headache by contacting Steve D. at the Ultimage Garage (http://www.ultimagegarage.com) if you need a hard to find tool. Steve has everything under the sun when it comes to high end and hard to find tools and also specializes in big brakes. Plus, he is a super nice guy and a Porsche/BMW car nut. Always great service in my experiences with him.

Good Luck,
Rory

bfd
07-21-2004, 12:18 AM

Check out Steve D'Gerolamo at ultimategarage.com, he sells Facom/SK tools and has the following:

Lubrication Tools

D 107-8 Oil Drain Plug Hex Bit-8mm (also for tight access with M10 allen bolts)
$16.00

D 107-10 Oil Drain Plug Hex Bit-10mm (also for tight access with M12 allen bolts)

D 107-14 Oil Drain Plug Hex Bit-14mm

D 107-17 Oil Drain Plug Hex Bit-17mm

D107-Set Set of 4 Sump Bits Above-8mm/10mm/14mm/17mm 65.00
D 20 Oil Drain Plug Wrench-14mm hex (long leverage for loosening torque)

D 140 Oil Filter Cap Socket-74mm (14pt) - BMW/VW

U.46CLPF Oil Filter Wrench-Adjustable Ratcheting Strap type (66-106mm)-great for Porsche 911's

For more see here:

http://www.ultimategarage.com/facauto.html

ryan roopnarine
07-21-2004, 04:15 PM
i gave in and went to the specialty tool store. they said they could "get" a 14 mm socket, but couldn't provide any details up front about how long, &c. &c. so i bought this from them for 6.

http://plaza.ufl.edu/rroopnar/allen.jpg

i saw a machine shop on the drive home, and popped in and ask them if they could "neuter" it for me. the guy wanted $2 but i gave him a five, at least my headache is over for now .... until tomorrow morning, that is, when i try to take it out again. i wanna see how effective the nub is with a 14 mm socket and ratchet before i try the breaker bar on the longer remains of the key.

dave b
07-21-2004, 07:15 PM
That's EXACTLY what you need to have.

Now, stick it in the fill flug, then use a combo wrench + a pipe and you'll be able to break the seal.

Good luck.

632 Regal
07-22-2004, 12:41 PM
OK Ryan did it work yet?

JonE
07-22-2004, 01:22 PM
Ryan?

David Chen
07-22-2004, 01:25 PM
Or even easier, stick the short end of the modified allen wrench in the plug, make sure it's snug, and then strike it sharply with a hammer. Sometimes, an impact is more likely to loosen a seized plug than a steady torque.

ryan roopnarine
07-22-2004, 02:14 PM
its always one thing after another.....i can't find the damn pump to fill it back (i put it in the trunk just fo rthis) , so it will have to wait until i can find it, or i can go to the hardware store and get a piece of hose to use in its place.

OK Ryan did it work yet?

dave b
07-22-2004, 03:23 PM
You'll be pumping all day with that heavy weight stuff!

Get a funnel, about 10 feet of hose, hold the hose up as high as you can, pour in the fluid, and let gravity do its job. Fill it until it spills out.

JonE
07-22-2004, 04:06 PM
I used the pump that I use for refilling the lower unit on my boat motor, the assembly screws right into each bottle of diff. fluid. I'm under there pumping for about 5minutes and that's that.

winfred
07-22-2004, 05:30 PM
ditto

I used the pump that I use for refilling the lower unit on my boat motor, the assembly screws right into each bottle of diff. fluid. I'm under there pumping for about 5minutes and that's that.

Tiger
07-22-2004, 06:09 PM
Ryan! Drill a 1/2" hole into the cap... stick a 1/2" clear tube into the bottle... all the way to the bottom of the bottle... and leave enough sticking out so you can insert it into the filler hole. Then what? SQUEEZE!!!

632 Regal
07-22-2004, 07:13 PM
Ryan! Drill a 1/2" hole into the cap... stick a 1/2" clear tube into the bottle... all the way to the bottom of the bottle... and leave enough sticking out so you can insert it into the filler hole. Then what? SQUEEZE!!!

632 Regal
07-22-2004, 07:17 PM
be an ordeal I didnt have to worry about. Higher gear should make a big difference, especially with the air on.

Tiger
07-22-2004, 07:39 PM
Someone go smack Ryan... shake him up... til he is sane again.

ryan roopnarine
07-22-2004, 07:52 PM
ill be trying tomorrow afternoon, as i couldn't find the pump today (and decided to screw doing it) and i have to go buy some hose now.

Warren N.CA
07-22-2004, 08:42 PM
nt

i believe that those are SAE, not metric pieces, as i was there earlier today looking for one. if i get desperate enough, maybe....

ryan roopnarine
07-22-2004, 08:45 PM
ill go to another one tomorrow warren and make sure i'm not talking out of my rear end. i had the sales person help me look and could only find SAE allen bits that large.

ryan roopnarine
07-24-2004, 01:44 PM
correction, warren. i went back to the same autozone, and told them that they did indeed sell metric allen sockets that big....they searched, and found one in the wrong section. they have 5 packages of the sae bits in the right location, though. so anyone looking for one, can obtain the 14mm socket bit from autozone, though it needs to be ground down to work.

zman-95-540i
10-01-2006, 06:41 PM
Help!! I spent about 30 minutes today trying to loosen the fill plug on my diff. I cut off about 1" of an allen key and was trying to get the plug out with a wrench. Tried hitting the wrench with a hammer and it wouldn't budge. Any ideas? Would a breaker bar work better than hitting it with a hammer? I was going at it pretty good with no results.

Needless to say this is pissing me off. I was supposed to change my tranny and diff today and couldn't move past the diff.

632 Regal
10-01-2006, 06:53 PM
mos are real snug, you could try heat if your changing all the fluid and then pop the hex in and turn with a meaty breaker bar.

ryan roopnarine
10-01-2006, 10:04 PM
you probably need a good bit more than 12 inches if it hasn't been opened in a while. under no circumstances should you use a ratchet in that space (ask me how i know) unless you want a fantasia/broomstick with buckets of water situation. they spec'd a recessed allen key as the drain plug for a very good reason. i just stuck the long end of the allen key (not the trimmed part) into the hole at the end of my jack handle, and that popped it easily, no solvents required.

edward
10-02-2006, 04:43 PM
I made a tool by finding a bolt whose head fit in the the hex fitting and then I welded an 11/16 nut onto it so I could turn it. The filler plug was the tough one, broke my first tool and had to fab up another. Hope this helps.

Cheers, Edward

BillionPa
10-10-2006, 02:44 AM
i got mine from autozone and did the grinder on it, then used a 14mm wrench, worked extremely well