PDA

View Full Version : Anyone add a X5 to their lineup?

Robert 530i
07-20-2004, 10:17 AM
So I decided to pass on the 318i e36 one of the guys in my office was selling, and I am getting a little heat from the wife to replace her Acura. She would consider driving my e34, but she does not really care for driving a manual. I have been thinking about looking for a 1 or 2 year old X5 and getting that for her. Then when my e34 finally gives up the ghost (in a few years) I will replace it with something a little faster and a little more sporty, perhaps an e39 M5???

Anyway, just wondering if anyone on the board already has one and what the general feelings are on the X5s? Particulary things like reliability, maintenance, diy compared to the e34. I have done a lot of the work on the 530i myself, I just want an idea of what I would be jumping into with a X5.

Thanks,

Robert

P.S. I agree that the board should require registration to post. Just my $0.02.

Elekta
07-20-2004, 10:22 AM
There's more room in the Touring. Do you need 4x4? If not, then RUN AWAY from the X5

http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v11/ggil-tx/bmw/DSCN1063.jpg

sbcncsu
07-20-2004, 10:34 AM
There's more room in the Touring. Do you need 4x4? If not, then RUN AWAY from the X5

I too have heard that the X5 is quite cramped for space. I have also heard that the early years have had tremendous electrical anomolies that are hard to repair and even harder to live with.

I really like our '01 525iA, I just wish that it was a touring. The more I see the e39 tourings, the more I like them. I really like the 540iT a lot but just can't justify the expense. One thing to note, the X5 pricing will be comparable if not slightly higher than the e39 tourings.

It is tough to find a new vehicle that suits your tastes and needs. Good luck!

Jeff N.
07-20-2004, 10:39 AM
Martin's got one in his stable. Maybe he'll share his love for the car...

Martin in Bellevue
07-20-2004, 10:40 AM
The x5 hasn't had too many unexpected problems. It does have a few electrical concerns that will only multiply as the miles pile on.
The worst thing for me, is being compelled to deal with the dealer as the thing is under warranty. They have proven to be uninterested in repairs or making the thing right.
My biggest fear is the wife's interest in replacing her x5, which is nearly paid off, with another x5. She has shown an interest in having a 'fun' 3rd car & keeping x5.

Take a look at that new dodge wagon with the big v8, chinzy plastics, & relatively low sticker.

Elekta
07-20-2004, 11:06 AM
Take a look at that new dodge wagon with the big v8, chinzy plastics, & relatively low sticker.

NOOOOOooooOOOOOoooOOOOOooooOOooo

Get a 2001 540iT before you do that.

Hell get the M5T for $32 k on ebay before you buy the hemi crap

callen
07-20-2004, 12:47 PM
test drove Magnum V8 Saturday and was disappointed with plasticy interior. Power was good....felt heavy...really heavy compared to my 535. Only auto trans available....if it had a 6 speed and I'd own one. Paint on bottom of tailgate was thin so could see light color primer showing under Dark Metalic blue paint......

callen
07-20-2004, 12:48 PM
X5 have benefit of making driver feel more secure.

gale
07-20-2004, 01:30 PM
I have driven many X5's during the Susan G. Komen drives. They are nice for what they are but I much prefer my wife's '00 Toyota Land Cruiser. The Toyota has a much more comfortable ride, has the sweet Lexus 4.7 V-8 with plenty of power, built like a tank, extremely reliable, 3rd row seats, tows the boat nicely, 2-spd transfer case & performs very well off-road.