PDA

View Full Version : 1990 5251, 236k miles: air slowly getting in my colling system

Unregistered
07-20-2004, 07:27 AM
"cerdman" replied to previous post about my car overheating, "Take a look at the throttle body. On my 90, it was leaking and not only losing coolant, but allowing air in the system. Its an easy fix, even for a novice like me and then "burp" the cooling system."

I used bruno's web site and found there was lots of air in the system. I bled the system as best I could - I think there's air still in there. Am I supposed to fill the expansion tank then wait a little for it to go down then fill it some more, then wait,.... Then warm the car? Once the car is warm, fluid never did come out of the relif valve despite it seeing some spits of fluid spewing out occasionally. The directions, including in my Bentleys manual, indicated the fluid should come out and I should tighten the screw only when the fluid that comes out has no more bubbles in it.

Also, how tight should I tighten the screw? I ask because I tighten one too tight and broke half of it off - $90 dealer labor to fix it.

Many many thanks for all your help! This is a fantastic site.