PDA

View Full Version : How to disable Always-On Headlights?

Aaron Bakos
07-18-2004, 09:14 PM
My car is Canada spec...95' 525i 5spd. For whatever reason, the headlights are always on, can't shut them off with the switch. It's a bit of a trade-off for the headlight washer system...but back to the subject at hand.

Has anyone dug into this issue and figured out where they jump the circuit?

I never cared before, but the $tealer gave me 21w tail lights when I was there last. Due to the heat and them being on all time, they melted the tail-light housings and the bulb holders are falling out. I believe the old ones were 10w bulbs, I can't be sure but I know they were a bit dimmer.

I'm going to have a (heated) conversation with the dealer about this...but at the same time, if I could shut the lights off during the day it probably wouldn't be an issue.

TIA...

David Chen
07-20-2004, 05:50 PM
Your stealer sold you brake light bulbs for the taillight. Proper taillight bulbs are 5W. To disable the DRL feature, replace the LKM (light control module) with one from a US-spec car. They're usually available on eBay or from recyclers for less than $50.

bimmerd00d
07-20-2004, 10:47 PM
i think he means he has daytime running lamps. I believe a US Spec LKM (Light Kontrol Module is a somewhat accurate description) will make the lights come on only with the switch.

Aaron Bakos
07-24-2004, 11:20 AM
i think he means he has daytime running lamps. I believe a US Spec LKM (Light Kontrol Module is a somewhat accurate description) will make the lights come on only with the switch.

I'll see if I can hunt down an LKM...see if that works.

The seperate issue of the tail lights is going to be a PITA. The dealer down here has a bad rep, if I can't kill them with kindness then it'll get ugly.

Thanks for the help guys-