PDA

View Full Version : 525i Tachometer reading wrong... help please?

Jon K
07-18-2004, 08:22 PM
Took the car out this afternoon, didn't notice anything wrong. Went highway driving. Came back and at a red light I went around a turn and noticed that my engine sounded high-strung yet my tachometer was only like 4,000 rpm. I panicked and pulled over and saw my engine displaying an idle of 350 - 400rpm. However, the motor sounded like it was idling normally, so that's good.

I have a bad clunking from the mid/rear of the car... I think it's the guibo/centerbearing/i dont know. I know that I need to replace it, but I don't know if its related to this now. Can anyone give input please? Hate when my car acts up!

Jon K
07-18-2004, 08:57 PM
Took the car out this afternoon, didn't notice anything wrong. Went highway driving. Came back and at a red light I went around a turn and noticed that my engine sounded high-strung yet my tachometer was only like 4,000 rpm. I panicked and pulled over and saw my engine displaying an idle of 350 - 400rpm. However, the motor sounded like it was idling normally, so that's good.

I have a bad clunking from the mid/rear of the car... I think it's the guibo/centerbearing/i dont know. I know that I need to replace it, but I don't know if its related to this now. Can anyone give input please? Hate when my car acts up!

Ok drove the car again, tachometer reads right again... I guess my capacitors were being goofy. I'll keep an eye on things. However, my door locks don't work right. They lock, but then pop up instantly like if you were to try and lock the car with a door open or such. I have to lock the car a second time for them to remain down. I've checked all doors being closed and trunk and I cannot figure out what's causing it. Any idea? Knocking from under car guibo/differential remains

MotoMan
07-21-2004, 02:02 PM
Ok drove the car again, tachometer reads right again... I guess my capacitors were being goofy. I'll keep an eye on things. However, my door locks don't work right. They lock, but then pop up instantly like if you were to try and lock the car with a door open or such. I have to lock the car a second time for them to remain down. I've checked all doors being closed and trunk and I cannot figure out what's causing it. Any idea? Knocking from under car guibo/differential remains

Jon Hi,

had a similar problem with my locks at one stage. Seems the boot locking mechanism had moved for G-D alone knows what reason. The shift in its placement cause the symptoms u mention. It may just require you to reposition the lock, to get the actuator to "work" correctly.