PDA

View Full Version : How hard can it be to find a competent mechanic?

Dan in NZ
07-18-2004, 07:13 PM
Here's todays story. Took my car to Cooke Howlison BMW (Dunedin), because it was occasionally overheating, leaking oil and the steering had loosened up considerably. Picked it up $582 later, to be told that it was leaking oil, but not too badly so they didn't fix it, and instead gave me some tips for effectively checking the oil level. Also they said they "couldn't replicate fault" in regards to the loose steering. Are you serious!!! It's loose all the time, you only have to drive it in a straight line to notice the car is going in anything but a straight line. Lastly they claimed the viscous fan clutch was bad, so they replaced it and said the overheating was solved. Charged four hours labour.

Just been for a 20min drive on flat roads around town, no more than 60kph. As I was driving up the gentle hill back to where I live, I glanced at the temp guage only to see it just off the 3/4 mark. Yesterday I had been idleing for 5min, then went up a gentle hill, and it soared towards the 3/4 mark. This is in the middle of winter!!! I really need a reliable car for the summer, when I live 25mins from anywhere on a vineyard.

I suspect the thermostat is bad, I'm hoping the dealer will fix it for free, as it's quite possible the fan clutch wasn't bad at all.

Unregistered
07-18-2004, 07:29 PM
Dan;

Here in the big PX most dealer mechanics are up to speed on one or two generations back, not 15 year old cars....With help from the many experts on the board here and some basic skils you can do better yourself methinks, althought I understand you wouldn't have easy access to the awesome parts pipeline we have here.

What about qualified independant shops in NZ?

Best,

John in Connecticut
1995 525i 5 speed

Dan in NZ
07-18-2004, 10:20 PM
Dan;

Here in the big PX most dealer mechanics are up to speed on one or two generations back, not 15 year old cars....With help from the many experts on the board here and some basic skils you can do better yourself methinks, althought I understand you wouldn't have easy access to the awesome parts pipeline we have here.

What about qualified independant shops in NZ?

Best,

John in Connecticut
1995 525i 5 speed

I tried supposedly the best auto electrical guy, and he broke my indicator by not putting the steering wheel on properly, and spent literally weeks scratching his head and replacing unnecessary parts over what turned out to be a faulty speed sensor. Another independant that all the cab companies use actually charged more to replace a wheel bearing than what the dealer quoted. That's why I've been using the dealer...

Part of the problem is that I live in quite a small town. I can easily order parts from another part of the country at 1/3 less than what the dealer.

I'm at university, living in dorm-style accomodation, so doing my own repairs out in the parking lot doesn't seem too appealing.

Bill R.
07-18-2004, 11:56 PM
Whats the source for the misinformation that you're getting? I'm actually quite curious how people find out who the good guys to take your cars to are

I tried supposedly the best auto electrical guy, and he broke my indicator by not putting the steering wheel on properly, and spent literally weeks scratching his head and replacing unnecessary parts over what turned out to be a faulty speed sensor. Another independant that all the cab companies use actually charged more to replace a wheel bearing than what the dealer quoted. That's why I've been using the dealer...

Part of the problem is that I live in quite a small town. I can easily order parts from another part of the country at 1/3 less than what the dealer.

I'm at university, living in dorm-style accomodation, so doing my own repairs out in the parking lot doesn't seem too appealing.

krisby
07-19-2004, 12:03 AM
I take my car to the same guy as the previous owner, he knows the car, but more importantly is honest and offers reasonable rates and seems to know what he is talking about.

Otherwise I would have taken it to the old place I used to go with my Diamante, who was also good and fair, but when it comes to a BMW, I need to know it is someone who knows euro cars.

lee
07-19-2004, 12:19 PM
Here's the one NZ BMW independent recommended:

http://www.iaibmwsp.com/IbmwspFrame.htm

Dan in NZ
07-19-2004, 04:32 PM
Here's the one NZ BMW independent recommended:

http://www.iaibmwsp.com/IbmwspFrame.htm

Thanks for that, unfortunately it's about 18 hours drive and a $180 ferry away from me... Great site though!