PDA

View Full Version : Odd A/C smell

rickm
07-18-2004, 03:53 PM
A week or so ago I changed my cabin air filter. It wasn't too bad considering it was 2 years old, more grey than black. Life was good after that, my A/C, which seemed to have been blowing less cool and with less force, was ok again.

Yesterday when I hopped in the car and turned the a/c on it sounded like something was caught in the blower, which could have happened since when I was changing the filter I had the radio on and "Daddy's helper" cranked the fan knob on then on to high which caused a lot of crud to end up on the carpet via the open cabin filter slot. I backed it off to #1; you could hear it but it wasn't so bad.

Today were on our way to get pizza when the small child requested I turn the a/c on. I did and I noticed that it smelled funny...like a mix of bromine, electric and God know's what. When I cranked the fan on high it smelled more electrical so I turned it off. The smell came and went. There is no sign of any leakage on the carpet nor up under where the cabin filter is.

I'm stumped. What to check out next? No blown fuses, the aux fan seems to be working ok. I'm about to move to Greenville, NC, one of the ugliest places to be in August and I really need to have some sort of cooling that doesn't smell like dead crustacean. :)

632 Regal
07-18-2004, 04:56 PM
Hey Rick, sounds like you might be looking towards a new sword soon. Might be a great time to get one.

rickm
07-18-2004, 05:34 PM
I found the problem...it's a MOUSE. Er, was. Wanna see? I took a picture for Winfred. :)

Getting to the blowers isn't too hard if you're a midget with small hands.