PDA

View Full Version : To BimmerNut Ed...Registration Poll...the verdict is in...

George M
07-18-2004, 03:38 PM
Thanks to all that expressed their opinion. Ed, as you witness by the overwhelming response, it wasn't even close. Vast majority of members are in favor of registering on this forum for the reasons expressed. In particular the Board of Director's has weighed in and you know who they are :)
And for those that consider this change exclusionary, it isn't...quite the contrary. It is inclusive and will promote people to register and participate. Afterall, this board is much more about fellowship and community than the cars we like to talk about. Long time members recognize this basic fact of human nature and have voted accordingly.

On behalf of the board, I would ask in the spirit of making this forum the best it can be, that you make a revision to the software to allow viewing the board as before with unregistered status and make mandatory sign in for those that want to participate and be a member for all the reasons stated.
Again, thanks to all for your vote and in particular to you Ed for your
guardianship of this forum and your judgement on this matter.
George

(Edit by Micah - Link to Poll (http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?p=30273))

George M
07-19-2004, 08:36 AM
speed bump...

-Joes
07-19-2004, 09:13 AM
?

George M
07-19-2004, 09:50 AM
...as in all communities, there are doers that participate and try to help out and there are watchers that go along for the ride. If you spend enough time here, you will figure it out....its pretty obvious.
George

Elekta
07-19-2004, 10:01 AM
Part of the registration should include make model engine etc. It facilitates questions and request for those who might be able to help. Most here aren't mechanics, but everyone's learned a tip or trick or two, mostly about what not to do, but regardless, I know not to try to help someone with an inline 6 pwr steering issue or whatever, because I'm a v8 nik with different plumbing.

AllanS
07-19-2004, 01:18 PM
I'll explain it for those not in-the-know:

It's a secret government, that operates behind the scenes, determining the fate of the forum... a Bimmeri Illuminati, if you will. You need to have at least 200 posts to reach Initiate, 300 for Ordo Bimmeratus, and 600 for the board of directors (Ordo Bimmeri Dictatus).

[Bimmer Nut] Ed is, of course, the Grandmaster, ie. Illuminated One, and Rick is a 94th degree BimmerMason, which automatically makes him one of the Ordo Dictati, regardless of the number of posts he has.

It's all very simple, you see.

scott540
07-19-2004, 02:06 PM
Sweet. 3 more posts and I get my designation

Sweetwater
07-19-2004, 02:39 PM
Sweet. 3 more posts and I get my designation

Cool, I'll need to find the time to fill in some cyberspace myself..... :p

George M
07-19-2004, 02:40 PM
everybody knows it is you who everybody turns to for guidance...the true Grandmaster of the board.
:p
George

Brian C.
07-19-2004, 03:45 PM
All hail His Royal...er...REGAL Highness JEFF! The Grand Poohbah of Posting!
:p :p :p

Brian C.
:D

AllanS
07-19-2004, 09:16 PM
Heh, sorry George- I couldn't resist... but in all honesty, I see all your points about registration being necessary for posting, and agree on their validity.

Unregistered
07-20-2004, 10:10 AM
I have found this forum to really save me money and did not register because I did not have to - I'll be more than happy to register!

George M
07-20-2004, 12:39 PM
just to let you know....I am the last guy to want more rules....I am for less government, not more :) In this case however it seems most agree...almost common sense...not unlike the board morphing through a number of changes previously evolving to the present format that most and not all favor. And Unregistered...thanks for your input as well...they really do buttress the argument for registration.

Lastly...where the heck is Ed so we can get the show on the road? He is either laying low or shirking his responsibility of overseeing this board. ;)
Ed...where are you man?...I wanted to introduce you to my sister who has a soft spot for IT guys who dig Bimmers.....
http://members.roadfly.com/georgemann/Sister.jpg

Bimmer Nut Ed
07-20-2004, 01:35 PM
No problem. I agree that it is a good idea to have to register to post. It takes all the knife stabbing out completely. Everyone is on the up and up then. So, in an effort to appease the masses on the magnificent board I have the honor to host, I will implement a "registration requirement" for posting. If anyone opposes severely, please PM me ASAP. I'll take some time to look at how I can also require the model info on the profile. That's always good info for those wanting to help.

Oh, and more pics of sister, please!

Sorry, I was out of town, falling off a ladder. Major bruises, but nothing broken except my pride.

Robin-535im
07-20-2004, 02:16 PM

George M
07-20-2004, 02:50 PM
sticky you are referring to Robin ;)...some are harder to remove than others...hehe.

Welcome back Ed...glad you are OK. Have to ask, did you purchase Abnormal's 525i?
Per your comment above...the spirit of this change put forth IMHO is really a matter quite aside from back stabbing or flaming. This board is thankfully a notch above that or at least 99% of the time. A little lively bantering on the other hand is a good thing :D Please take some time and read all the great input from many that have taken the time to put forth their opinions in an effort to personalize registration...some real good things to consider as you reconfigure the sign in process. Most noteably from where I sit is perhaps an optional or elective field for your year and make BMW as suggested and what I would propose is an optional field to post what state and or Country you are from as this is clearly an international board and that bit of information would really add to the overall flavor. I would like to add an avatar with my sign in but if this saps too much bandwidth, I certainly understand. Some already add what country they are from to their sign in which I personally think is a cool thing and has some technical relevance as well due to the slight variance in design level...RHD in particular, between cars in Europe for example compares to the US.
Lastly, I see you only needed a bit of incentive to respond. :D As you may know, I come from a big family and therefore would like to introduce you to another sister who as it turns out is a bit less shy than the first I introduced.
She also seems to have a passion for BMW's and the mature men who drive them :D
Thanks again Ed,
George
http://members.roadfly.com/georgemann/Sister2.jpg

Robin-535im
07-20-2004, 03:07 PM
Thanks to all that expressed their opinion. Ed, as you witness by the overwhelming response, it wasn't even close. Vast majority of members are in favor of registering on this forum for the reasons expressed. In particular the Board of Director's has weighed in and you know who they are :)
And for those that consider this change exclusionary, it isn't...quite the contrary. It is inclusive and will promote people to register and participate. Afterall, this board is much more about fellowship and community than the cars we like to talk about. Long time members recognize this basic fact of human nature and have voted accordingly.

On behalf of the board, I would ask in the spirit of making this forum the best it can be, that you make a revision to the software to allow viewing the board as before with unregistered status and make mandatory sign in for those that want to participate and be a member for all the reasons stated.
Again, thanks to all for your vote and in particular to you Ed for your
guardianship of this forum and your judgement on this matter.
George

(Edit by Micah - Link to Poll (http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?p=30273))

Bimmer Nut Ed
07-20-2004, 04:13 PM
Nope, I did not purchase the 525 from Abnormal. The only thing holding me back was the A/C. He had issues with it, and that is my biggest weak point.

I've never had luck fixing A/C's in all the Volvo's I've owned. And every one of them (the A/C in the Volvos that it), sucked. Volvo never figured out how to make A/C cold till 1992 according to Winfred. I just ordered the conversion kit from BMA (today) and will be converting my daughters, empty R12 system to R134a real soon!

You've got some fine sisters. They may need space on Bachelorpartypics.com

George M
07-20-2004, 04:35 PM
Ed...Abnormal mentioned his doors were a bit rusty down below. How bad are they...all doors affected? Overall impression of his car independent of the AC?
Thanks,
George

Bimmer Nut Ed
07-20-2004, 08:29 PM
George, I did not look at it. I spoke to my friend for whom I was going to buy it and asked her how important AC was (thinking that if I were to fix it, it might take a while, like after summer). She's like me, AC is very important, so I passed on it based on that feedback. Anything else, I could have tackled easily IMHO. I'm even not afraid of a little rust. But being a Detroit area car, I was a little worried about that too.

Ed...Abnormal mentioned his doors were a bit rusty down below. How bad are they...all doors affected? Overall impression of his car independent of the AC?
Thanks,
George

Scott C
07-20-2004, 08:34 PM
sticky you are referring to Robin ;)...some are harder to remove than others...hehe.

Welcome back Ed...glad you are OK. http://members.roadfly.com/georgemann/Sister2.jpg

Darn,
How did you get pictures of my wife on here?
Scott
:)

winfred
07-20-2004, 09:57 PM
you can make the 90 and older 240s better with a good sized aux fan, they suck even with r12, a receiver drier 240 on r134 will get over 350#'s on the high side before the fan clutch kicks in, lots of airflow through the condensor helps a lot. i hooked up a pair from a late mercedes on my 84 240 turbo wagon (converted to a m47 5 speed and intercooled with 10 psi boost that i shouldn't of sold) to a dash switch so i could run em when ever i wanted. just about anything with a accumulator/orafis tube style system will work fine with r13491 and up 240 and 740/760/850/940/960 do fine

I've never had luck fixing A/C's in all the Volvo's I've owned. And every one of them (the A/C in the Volvos that it), sucked. Volvo never figured out how to make A/C cold till 1992 according to Winfred. I just ordered the conversion kit from BMA (today) and will be converting my daughters, empty R12 system to R134a real soon

Bimmer Nut Ed
07-20-2004, 10:15 PM
See, I wish I woulda known this when I was into Volvos. But I'm much happier now that I'm into Bimmers, particularly with this crew on the board.

Thanks Winfred. My Dad still has a 240, and if he has any problems, I know where to go for help for the stuff I can't handle. I can do most everything on the 240's as I've driven them over 20 years, but the AC always screwed me (and not in a good way, like with George's Sisters below!). Dad does not drive much at all though, and the only thing he needs now is an exhaust.

you can make the 90 and older 240s better with a good sized aux fan, they suck even with r12, a receiver drier 240 on r134 will get over 350#'s on the high side before the fan clutch kicks in, lots of airflow through the condensor helps a lot. i hooked up a pair from a late mercedes on my 84 240 turbo wagon (converted to a m47 5 speed and intercooled with 10 psi boost that i shouldn't of sold) to a dash switch so i could run em when ever i wanted. just about anything with a accumulator/orafis tube style system will work fine with r13491 and up 240 and 740/760/850/940/960 do fine

George M
07-21-2004, 07:50 AM
Ed...I see. Abnormal's car is relatively low mileage for a '90 525i, resonably priced and only a stone's throw from where I live. Had I not bought my little Saturn runabout, I would have jumped on it. I am not a big AC guy either and yes it can be pricey but perhaps the R12 has leaked out unless you heard otherwise. I am pretty astounded that my original unmolested 90 735iL R12 system still works great. I even picked up a can of R12 in anticipation of charging it at some point but its still blows cold. Remarkable for a 14 year old car that has never been charged in the 6 years I have owned it.
George

Bimmer Nut Ed
07-21-2004, 06:00 PM
I just ordered a conversion kit for my daughters AC. Maybe if that goes well, and Abnormal's 525 is still available, I'll reconsider. You're right, the price is right, but I'm afraid of the AC problem.

My 1990 535 also blows real, real cold with R12, and I've never filled it either since I bought it in 2000.

Ed...I see. Abnormal's car is relatively low mileage for a '90 525i, resonably priced and only a stone's throw from where I live. Had I not bought my little Saturn runabout, I would have jumped on it. I am not a big AC guy either and yes it can be pricey but perhaps the R12 has leaked out unless you heard otherwise. I am pretty astounded that my original unmolested 90 735iL R12 system still works great. I even picked up a can of R12 in anticipation of charging it at some point but its still blows cold. Remarkable for a 14 year old car that has never been charged in the 6 years I have owned it.
George

winfred
07-21-2004, 06:16 PM
e34/32s easy, blow the system free of oil or use a flush gun (i paid $125 for the gun and a gallon of flush at napa, flush goes for around $50 a gallon you don't need that much, i use it a pint at a time, i double flush the evap and cond) use the good heavy steel fittings that have their own seals and valves and remove the old r12 valves before you install the new fittings, drain the compressor of all oil and refill with 5-6 oz of ester oil. besides that it's just replacing the drier and exp valve, lube the o-rings with ac oil before installing and that's about it

I just ordered a conversion kit for my daughters AC. Maybe if that goes well, and Abnormal's 525 is still available, I'll reconsider. You're right, the price is right, but I'm afraid of the AC problem.