PDA

View Full Version : Re-keying question - 92 535i

Bill in MA
07-18-2004, 07:34 AM
When I bought my 92 535i it came with two keys: one for the ignition and one for the doors and trunk. The ignition key won't open the doors and vice versa. Also, no spares. My question is, how hard is it to re-key the car? Can a new ignition lock be sourced/cut that will work with the locks on the doors?

Thanks

Bill
92 535i

Unregistered
07-18-2004, 09:49 AM
anything is possible with money Bill....

rickm
07-18-2004, 10:23 AM
When I bought my 92 535i it came with two keys: one for the ignition and one for the doors and trunk. The ignition key won't open the doors and vice versa. Also, no spares. My question is, how hard is it to re-key the car? Can a new ignition lock be sourced/cut that will work with the locks on the doors?

This was asked on usenet a while back, apparently the door locks can be "reprogrammed" to work with the ignition key but not the other way around. It shouldn't be too difficult for a locksmith to do this.

aussie 540i
07-18-2004, 10:46 AM
unfortunately you did not receive the "master" key with the vehicle. you could try getting the doors reconfigured as suggested, persevere with using 2 keys (recommended) or i think you can get a new "master" key from germany cut but i dont know at what cost. hope this is of some help.

Thanks

Bill
92 535i

Bill in MA
07-18-2004, 10:55 AM
Perhaps I'll just try to get a replacement key fob and program chips for the remote entry...

Bill

aussie 540i
07-18-2004, 11:09 AM
good luck bill, but i found a cheaper option was to just use the ignition key then i fitted an aftermarket alarm/immobilizer to open the doors, this was less expensive and improved my security, i did this on my previously owned 1991 525im (its the only non bmw part i have so far ever fitted by the way.....but those fat chips sound good........could be number 2)

Perhaps I'll just try to get a replacement key fob and program chips for the remote entry...

Bill

Tiger
07-18-2004, 05:01 PM
Bill, go to the BMW dealer... with your VIN number and proof... ask them to order you a new ignition lock cut to original key... and change it out... and you are done.

Qube
03-24-2005, 12:05 AM
NB: OOPS! I thought I was starting another thread but replied to this one. Oh well. It's still kind of on topic!

With the used (is there any other? :) ) 89 535i I got, there was only one master key. I'm certainly not going to have a dupe from the worn one. Is there any other way to obtain a key? And approximate costs?

Kalevera
03-24-2005, 12:11 AM
$tealer.

For costs: there's a thread on this that was started in the past few days -- regards "flip" keys. best, whit

Eric Clark
03-24-2005, 08:01 AM
I think it was $37 for the new key for my mothers e36. I think there is a less fancy key for $25. This was from the dealer a few years ago.