PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum corrosion question

632 Regal
07-17-2004, 07:24 PM
k doin the stupid hoses deal still and got to the back of the engine, tokk one of the hoses off and theres a buttload of corrosion on the fitting, I scraped some but cant get to it with anything like a wire wheel or such. Is there something to treat this with or am I at the mercy of the corrosion gods?

632 Regal
07-17-2004, 08:04 PM
Ok heres the deal dude, take some muratic acid, phosphuric acid or whatnot and soak that puppy down and it will foam. Then after your happy with that then rinse with water and then treat with a heavy concentrate of baking soda and water, rinse, coat with trans fluid and assemble.

good luck!

632 Regal
07-17-2004, 08:05 PM
Ok heres the deal dude, take some muratic acid, phosphuric acid or whatnot and soak that puppy down and it will foam. Then after your happy with that then rinse with water and then treat with a heavy concentrate of baking soda and water, rinse, coat with trans fluid and assemble.

good luck!

ryan roopnarine
07-17-2004, 11:17 PM
huh?

the solution to moderate corrosion problems, it would seem, is to take the prestone radiator cleaner (not radiator flush, the cleaner is stronger and is the same price), flush out the antifreeze, and drive around for a couple of days on one or two bottles of cleaner and distilled water in yer system (YMMV, not responsible for your own results).

632 Regal
07-18-2004, 12:28 AM
leaving the hoses un attached would flush the system and at the same time test the sending units! I will try and post back ASAP!

ryan roopnarine
07-18-2004, 12:36 AM
.....you didn't put your car back together YET?!?!?!?! alls i know is, i had some major rust and $*** buildup in mine in november. ran this through, ran an effective concentration of 80/20 antifreeze (not intentionally, of course), and i'm having a difficult time finding crap in there anymore. im gonna run another cycle of that before i plug the heater core back in.

Tiger
07-18-2004, 05:03 PM
Just use CRC Engine Cleaner on it... and Viola! I tried it already.