PDA

View Full Version : Time for a vote from long time registered board members....

George M
07-17-2004, 06:55 PM
this was recently discussed but maybe its time to put it to vote for a concensus with the permission of board management. Ed and company...lets hear the sentiment on whether one should register to use this board or not since a large majority that responded to the recent post on the subject was in favor of registering.
I am of the mind that a large aspect of this board aside from the utility of helping people fix their Bimmers is the fellowship of knowing the identity of participants. Since it is a small price to pay for admission, I am of the mind that one should register to participate on this board which is pretty much the norm of all enthusiast forums out there.

Please vote whether one should register or not.
Yes or No

George
P.S....don't bother to vote if you are't registered...LOL.

Phil M
07-17-2004, 06:56 PM
yes

Martin in Bellevue
07-17-2004, 07:01 PM
without any true insight or help. This isn't intended at political observations or interesting off topics. This concerns the bandwidth wasters that may post too often, helping nobody but their egos.

I'm just throwing that out there.

Bill R.
07-17-2004, 07:01 PM

Bill R.
07-17-2004, 07:02 PM
:)
without any true insight or help. This isn't intended at political observations or interesting off topics. This concerns the bandwidth wasters that may post too often, helping nobody but their egos.

I'm just throwing that out there.

rickm
07-17-2004, 07:04 PM
Yes for registration.

Unregistered
07-17-2004, 07:05 PM
Nope.

632 Regal
07-17-2004, 07:05 PM
Put up a poll so we can vote and see what the majority is? That I think would be a start.

And yes Martin, my ego swells daily but at times I do however have a point or two and try to help when I can.

Jr ///M5
07-17-2004, 07:06 PM
Yeah Baby!!!

George M
07-17-2004, 07:07 PM
Martin...could we table your valid comment for another vote?. Would you vote on the unregistered issue first in an effort to clean up the board and then perhaps we can figure out a way of addressing your concern without upsetting the people you are referring to who likely mean well.
Thanks,
George

Martin in Bellevue
07-17-2004, 07:11 PM
You also impart some wisedom that I appreciate.

Martin in Bellevue
07-17-2004, 07:14 PM
My initial response may have been one of those self-serving posts that can be a hindrance to the thoughtful discussion that makes this board a valid resource. My bad.

I'll vote yes on your motion.

632 Regal
07-17-2004, 07:17 PM
there are a LOT of unregistered that do have knowledge, but when you get 20 unregistered posting and some know stuff and some just say stuff thats totally wrong it doesnt help the people that need it, (a lot also unregistered at times). Its hard to remember who is who now and who is full of BS which I know I am at times but I also try to help out. I hate to ignore all unregistered but you almost have to in order for the boards purpose to work. The purpose? I think we kinda figured the purpose at the time we changed to VB and did lose a few good members but the gist is to help and get help from the people that make this place great.

At times this place is slower and theres not much to expand on so I will participate in my own thing but who cares? If there wasnt difference than this place would be like standin in line at the secretary of state...did anyone follow this?

I am just procrastinating on finishing the R&R hoses deal, pump thermo and the front hoses done.

amen

AllanS
07-17-2004, 07:35 PM
I don't care either way- i don't see "unregistereds" cluttering up the board that much. If it became a problem, with people posting stupid crap, or harassing others anonymously, I would be all for it, but I guess e34 owners are a bit more mature than the types of people on other boards (bimmerforums, roadfly).

Matt P
07-17-2004, 07:43 PM
Yes.

Paul in NZ
07-17-2004, 07:47 PM
if it was possible to have a post system that would force a "name" to be used,that would do it for me.I registered on the old sytem b4 i even had a car,I dont understand the reluctance. to Registering :) wouldnt have stopped me from posting my initial queries..

Bill Marshall
07-17-2004, 08:05 PM
Suggest that if you want to post you need to register but OK to view without registering.

scott540
07-17-2004, 08:08 PM
Yes, register to post. Maybe it could stop crap like that long run on the E34 V12.

Anton CH.
07-17-2004, 08:10 PM
No.

darron525
07-17-2004, 08:23 PM
yes

George M
07-17-2004, 08:25 PM
Thanks Martin...lets try to figure out how to handle the issue you raise...it is valid of course...but a slippery slope when it comes to singling out people. And Jeff you raise another good reason why people should register. Aside from my point of giving an identity to people who care about these cars and not just fly by users of this board's info...by people registering it also gives identity to people that one may chose to tune out and/or not explore their response to a particular post. The way we stand now, unregistered posters are all represented as the same generic poster. And Bill Marshall...I agree...no reason why unregistered shouldn't view the contents of this board but there should be a modest investment IMHO when it comes to participating... in the form of signing up.
George

Bill R.
07-17-2004, 08:30 PM
what the question is....

( thats supposed to be no matter)

Thanks Martin...lets try to figure out how to handle the issue you raise...it is valid of course...but a slippery slope when it comes to singling out people. And Jeff you raise another good reason why people should register. Aside from my point of giving an identity to people who care about these cars and not just fly by users of this board's info...by people registering it also gives identity to people that one may chose to tune out and/or not explore their response to a particular post. The way we stand now, unregistered posters are all represented as the same generic poster. And Bill Marshall...I agree...no reason why unregistered shouldn't view the contents of this board but there should be a modest investment IMHO when it comes to participating... in the form of signing up.
George

George M
07-17-2004, 08:35 PM
Know what you mean Bill. I try to help when I can and not be too put off but it seems that the unregistered thing in some ways has kind of spoiled the spirit of the board.
Perhaps the chips will fall and a change will be made for the better.
George

rickm
07-17-2004, 08:38 PM
George, another case for having registration is that it makes it easier to follow threads. There is one bouncing around the board now where an unregistered (using that name) asks a question and the thread is mostly unregistered. The only way to distinguish them apart is by their spelling. :P

Having a set name also makes it easier to put someone on ignore if it comes to that (I did this once due to excess profanity).

Ed, what's your opinion?

MBXB
07-17-2004, 08:42 PM
Make it so anyone can READ; but require users to register and login to POST.

PhilipJCaputo
07-17-2004, 08:56 PM
Yes

Being somewhat new to the board, my first question as unregistered shot back 3 quick answers about making my first e34 purchase. Had I not received quick quality responses, I may not have returned to this board. Post by registration only might stifle growth... but I guess people will learn that this is the best e34 board, so they'll register eventually :)

Dick Schneiders
07-17-2004, 08:56 PM
Forcing registration to post is almost universal on all the special interest forums that I participate in, and I firmly agree with it.

Dick Schneiders

Suggest that if you want to post you need to register but OK to view without registering.

-JoeS
07-17-2004, 09:04 PM
If we could have pie in the sky, I would like the site/broad the to offer the ability to continuous stay logged in based on your IP (like the bay). I clear my Internet temp files and cookies continously and since I am lazy, I find it annoying to keep have to log back in all the time. so, I post as -JoeS or .JoeS since i can never remember what my password is.

Perhaps the user name UNREGISTERED should be restricted from posting making the user change the name to some user name that will allow a post.

But then - this is just me rambling.....

JR'Z 525
07-17-2004, 09:40 PM
View anytime but register to post and reply is best in my opinion....Yes

Brian C.
07-17-2004, 10:16 PM
I guess that I feel that as a matter of common courtesy I would think that someone who is looking for an answer, or a tip, or to even post some knowledge to help others, would at the very least become an entity known by some sort of a name or handle. Some name that could link the post to an identity. It only makes sense that "someone" will become easier and more likely to be helped, befriended and listened to than "someone anonymous".

That being said, if a person wants to remain unidentifiable it certainly should be their right to do so while still being able to fully participate in this forum. But the "right" to assume a response from anyone shouldn't be expected. As is in the big, bad world, we can always ignore anyone we want at anytime.

But that's just "Liberal Ole Me" talkin'!
;)

Brian C.

Jazzman
07-17-2004, 10:30 PM
Yes for registration!!!!!

Brian C.
07-17-2004, 10:31 PM
....since we're on the subject, and of course I and I'm sure many others value your contributions Jeff(really!), I do have this one burning question that perhaps my feeble mind has just never been able to fully grasp....

...but just what the hell does 632 Regal mean anyway????

Brian C.
:p

632 Regal
07-17-2004, 10:37 PM
George, another case for having registration is that it makes it easier to follow threads. There is one bouncing around the board now where an unregistered (using that name) asks a question and the thread is mostly unregistered. The only way to distinguish them apart is by their spelling. :P

Having a set name also makes it easier to put someone on ignore if it comes to that (I did this once due to excess profanity).

Ed, what's your opinion?

bimmerd00d
07-17-2004, 10:38 PM
i have no problem with people not registering, but make them type a name, something other than "Unregistered." Is there a way to not accept Unregistered as a name?

mikey535im
07-17-2004, 11:01 PM
I'll gladly vote yes on the issue of requiring poster/reponder registration,let the viewer remain anonomys.
When exactly are we going to be allowed 'reasonable' avatars?Let's brighten things up a bit without blazing headlights ,if you know what I mean.

MicahO
07-17-2004, 11:01 PM
On a forked thread, should we limit any of the bad words?

Rat ****
bat ****
dirty old twat
sixty nine *******s tied in a knot
hooray
lizard ****

(with all respects to Mr. Carlin)

Damn, and to think that my kids will probably be up in about 6 hours.......

MarkD
07-18-2004, 07:30 AM
Yes or No

George

YES

Brandon J
07-18-2004, 08:51 AM
Yes!!!

Phil Sanderson
07-18-2004, 09:33 AM
it would stop some dipshit, who does not have the courage of his proported convictions, from hijacking a thread like the "V12 in an E34" recently.

Philip John Sanderson
(I still don't know why people need pseudonyms on the internet)

Sweetwater
07-18-2004, 11:31 AM
If the Moderators are comfortable with their position, this thread is much ado about nothing.

Warren N.CA
07-18-2004, 11:44 AM
Can I decide "not to decide?"

It really is nice to see people's names. But when new people find the board, and need to ask for advice, having to go through an administrative process beforehand might be annoying and frustrating (especially when someone's car is broke, and he's tearing his hair out).

Perhaps we could avoid the necessity of mandatory registration, if each time we see an unregistered post, we could inform the person that they are likely to get more responses, if they register, and that it only takes a few minutes.

this was recently discussed but maybe its time to put it to vote for a concensus with the permission of board management. Ed and company...lets hear the sentiment on whether one should register to use this board or not since a large majority that responded to the recent post on the subject was in favor of registering.
I am of the mind that a large aspect of this board aside from the utility of helping people fix their Bimmers is the fellowship of knowing the identity of participants. Since it is a small price to pay for admission, I am of the mind that one should register to participate on this board which is pretty much the norm of all enthusiast forums out there.

Yes or No

George

Boggie1688
07-18-2004, 11:54 AM
Well to tell you the truth...

I think it can go either way.

For instance...some ppl come to our e34 forums...use them once or twice then disappear? Why then register? I mean yea it only takes like 3 mins...but if your only gunna post a few times...then blah...

You guys say you don't mind about unregistered names popping up...for some reason they kinda bother me with its "unregistered" and i look at the screen funny and go...can i trust? And you guys say well make it soo u can't have unregistered typed in thats very easy to do...but the person could just type in random bull crap as well....

I kinda like how the unregistered thing works though...if for some reason i'm too lazy to login...i just type my post..then type in Boggie1688 2 lazy 2 login and ppl know its me...but not login...

Utimately I believe....there isn't much harmed caused by an unregistered user posting...its up to the readers to decide wether or not they trust this unregistered person...now if the unregistered person doesn't feel like hes getting enough attention or respect then suggest him to go register...and he might get a response...Unregistered users don't hurt they board...its just that the board community doesn't seem to respond to them...and sooner or later they will catch on and register...but that doesn't mean to discriminate..

my 2 cents

Boggie1688

biondani
07-18-2004, 02:11 PM
I agree 100%, register to post but no registration for viewing. It's common courtesy really, I registered before I posted my queries a few weeks ago as a matter of habit.

Ian

632 Regal
07-18-2004, 05:06 PM
It's simply a long term goal here, to finish the 632 inch engine for the race car, 78 Buick Regal.

....since we're on the subject, and of course I and I'm sure many others value your contributions Jeff(really!), I do have this one burning question that perhaps my feeble mind has just never been able to fully grasp....

...but just what the hell does 632 Regal mean anyway????

Brian C.

krisby
07-18-2004, 05:13 PM
I'm not a long time member, but I plan on being one. I reckon you should have to register to post on this board, however, I do think it is ok for users to browse the forums if they are a guest (unlike some boards which do not allow this at all).

Brian C.
07-18-2004, 06:41 PM

BMW525i
07-18-2004, 06:56 PM
YES, if one plans to participate in forums

NO, if one just browses

In all cases, band the IP addresses of all who abuse privileges, and consistently break rules

Unregistered
07-18-2004, 08:30 PM
I'm a long time registered member who absolutely can't log on. I don't have any problem with the issue at hand but where does that leave me? What's going on here anyway? That thread about the V12 was, well, let's just say it wasn't anything that I would participate in. No one forced me to read it and once I saw where it was going, I never returned to it. I don't read every thread every day. I'm the one who picks what I want to read and what to pass up. While I feel that there are some pretty useless postings sometimes, (even from "registered" members), who am I to say what should go here or not: I don't have a dime in this board. Suppose this issue passes by with no resolution? Does everyone pack up and leave again? I hope not since here is found the best repository of auto mechanical and electrical knowledge on the web and in particular for our E34s. It would be more difficult for me to continue to own mine if this group was inaccessable to me. As always, I sign at closing.......

Paul

George M
07-18-2004, 08:53 PM
Paul...it seems to me that if the vast majority of the board is in favor of changing the format to mandatory registration for participating then it only stands to reason that the board format should change in an effort to keep board participants happy...in effect, a democracy. Sounds as though you will go with the flow which shouldn't be a stretch for any of us since this board is presently the exception and not the norm for boards out there that discourage fly by posters. As to having difficulty with formal registration...not many have...so I would contact Ed or a board administrator and try to determine why you aren't able to register. I have been stymied trying to register on other boards before and it is frustrating until the log on issue gets resolved.
Good Luck and hope you do register and contribute. Who knows, perhaps you will be a keen student of these cars and end up helping out those that know less as many others contribute so selflessly.
George

DueyT
07-18-2004, 09:32 PM
YES to post
NO to read
YES plus complicated rolling-code and daily cypher for those with more than 1500 posts (Just funnin' ya, Jeff! :p)

Cheers,
Duey

Luke
07-18-2004, 10:47 PM
If we start to get spam (or rice) then enforce it.

But it looks like most want it.

I feel like a democrat in Texas (which is true BTW).

The board is great either way though.

Luke
95 525ia

Scott H
07-19-2004, 08:56 AM
My vote doesn't matter, so I won't bother to reveal it.

Yes or No

George

George M
07-19-2004, 10:00 AM
hmmm...then why did you post?....LOL.
This ain't no big thing...been coming for quite a while now.
George

sbcncsu
07-19-2004, 10:19 AM
No need for anonymity here.

Hector
07-19-2004, 10:36 AM
owed by so many to so few" Sorry Martin, got a little sidetracked here :o)

Yes from this end.

George M
07-19-2004, 11:01 AM
another opportunity to improve over and above perhaps listing what particular bimmer(s) you have or represent would be to state where you are from in your title...in particular which country. Believe this would add a nice flavor to the board without being invasive from a privacy standpoint. One of the truly great aspects of this forum is the true international group that is assembled throughout the world to celebrate and unravel the mystery of these great cars. Many of whom I have communicated with extensively and even though I have never met, I would call my friends. I am always amazed by how similar people are in all their views independent of what country they are from.
George/USA

Brian C.
07-19-2004, 11:34 AM
If I click on any post title below Phil Sanderson's I only get the Quick Reply Box and nothing else related to the body of the message. I can read the title and body from all posts above that point, but below....nada! WASSUP!?

And if you can't read this, then I guess it doesn't really matter anyway, huh?

Brian C.

shragon
07-19-2004, 11:39 AM
yes