PDA

View Full Version : Help Help Help 1996 e34 540i V8

Unregistered
07-17-2004, 05:10 PM
Hi,
I just bought my lovely e34 540i and it has a whole host of problems..... :(

Brake Pressure warning is on dashboard all the time.

Another yellow warning light is on just above the readout... looks like a brake light with a ring arround it ?? No idea what it is....

When i put it in reverse the parking sensor beeps but then goes straight off.... Generally doesnt seem to work...

My ASC green switch by the gear stick doesnt seem to work.... No light comes on ?

I can't seem to get the rear seats up to get to the battery ?

Appart from this everything is tip top and running a dream :) if anyone can help please email me on itscheapaschips@hotmail.com or post a responce
thanks

BMW 540i Nice...........

632 Regal
07-17-2004, 05:45 PM
rear seat: get in back and pull in the center on where passangers sit, pull straight up. If it dont come up get in there and pull harder, like real hard. get it? now do the other side.

barkes, did you check the fluid level?

Help Help Help
07-17-2004, 06:23 PM
Yep fluids are all fine :(
Took it to my local garage and they dont know either

DueyT
07-18-2004, 09:06 PM
That yellow warning light just above the digital display, is it triangular in shape, with a dashed circle around the brake / "!" graphic...right between speedo and tach and slightly below the center level of the guages? If so, I think you may be talking about the ASC warning light. If you are having trouble getting the ASC switch by the shifter to "make anything happen", it may be because there's a problem with your ASC system. When the system is engaged (ON) there is NO DISPLAY on the instrument panel. The "ASC Operation/Fault" light will flash if wheel slip is experienced and the system engages, or it will stay on steady if a) there is a problem with the system, or b) you manually disable the system by pushing the ASC switch momentarily.

Another thing to consider, is that the ASC(+T) system uses the ABS actively to apply braking pressure to the rear wheel(s) as required. If you have a fault with your ABS module, then you may very well have an associated ASC problem.

The two of these things happening (Brake Pressure Warning and ASC problems) leads me to believe there is something wrong with your braking system. It sounds like a booster internal fault that doesn't directly throw an ABS code but does affect braking and ASC operation. Be careful and you should really get the braking system checked by a good indy if you're not familiar with ABS systems.

Let us know how things go!

p.s. Other than that, enjoy your 540i!!! ;-)

Cheers,
Duey