PDA

View Full Version : Heater-valve, or something else?

StuartB
07-17-2004, 05:41 AM
Hallo!

On my '89 525iM, The face level vents always blow cold air. Now, it's done this since I got the car and I've always kinda assumed it was the heater-valve.

I got all tooled up, ready to go and get one to overhaul out of a wrecker when it struck me, would this problem actually be the heater valve, or something else? Both passenger and driver heater controls do adjust the temperature of the other two sets of vents (footwell and demister), but the mid-level ones always blow cold (including the vents in the doorcards).

Is this a valve problem, or something more annoying buried in the vent system? The two face vents in the top of the dash don't have the temp. wheel between them (something to do with not having aircon I suppose), and the large vent on top of the dash also blows cold all the time.

Cheers!

ryan roopnarine
07-17-2004, 07:28 AM
i think that it usually mixes warm if the hcv is leaking or faulty, though your situation could be different. here's sean and johan's explanation

http://bmwe32.student.utwente.nl/johan/center_vents/center_vents_v1.1-1.html

sounds like its the problem you claim to have.

Hallo!

On my '89 525iM, The face level vents always blow cold air. Now, it's done this since I got the car and I've always kinda assumed it was the heater-valve.

I got all tooled up, ready to go and get one to overhaul out of a wrecker when it struck me, would this problem actually be the heater valve, or something else? Both passenger and driver heater controls do adjust the temperature of the other two sets of vents (footwell and demister), but the mid-level ones always blow cold (including the vents in the doorcards).

Is this a valve problem, or something more annoying buried in the vent system? The two face vents in the top of the dash don't have the temp. wheel between them (something to do with not having aircon I suppose), and the large vent on top of the dash also blows cold all the time.

Cheers!