PDA

View Full Version : new to e34, need help

playero
07-16-2004, 10:53 PM
I have been reading in this forum for about two months,I knew I wanted an e34 so I started to get familiar about them. So I just got one and now it's in storage for the next six months, I just got deployed to Uzbekistan. I want to upgrade the brakes and was planning in cross drilled rotors along with performance pads, but in reading about the use of the 850 brakes upgrades I wonder... should I just change over to the 850 brakes or go ahead with my original plan with rotors and pads.. any advice from anyone that has experienced this? The car will not be raced at all. I also want to change the struts and springs to lower the ride, I will like a somewhat stiffer ride but not to much, just sligtly than stock, any advice on this subject also will be appreciated. TIA, Dave

632 Regal
07-16-2004, 11:07 PM
first thing is congratulations and what car did you get Dave? Another thing is if the cars going to sit for a while I wouldnt even bother thinking about doing anything with the brakes yet until you have an opportunity to really enjoy your car. Mine stops very well and I wouldnt even concider an un-needed brake upgrade but would rather spend the money in other areas such as suspension upgrades and maintenance items that have been put on hold.

winfred
07-16-2004, 11:09 PM
it all depends on how fast you wanna stop, i think some of the 850 set up's have real limmited pad selection from what i've read, i run the brakes from a 740/750 on my 90 535 with sloted front rotors, they are 28mm thick on the front vs 22mm and vented rear's vs solid, i don't run performance pads so i could improve further with a simple pad swap but it works fine as is, i've yet to fade them i've not raced it but i have done some hard 100+ stops with no effect on performance of further stops

632 Regal
07-16-2004, 11:15 PM
maybe I just dont know how to properly beat on a BMW, I know that any other car I ever owned wouldnt have done as good a job as this thing. I wish the racecar would stop as good as the 530, might not need a chute.

winfred
07-16-2004, 11:57 PM
i need more brakes on my e30 had some close calls, i am in the process of transplanting the suspension/brakes from a 98 m coupe on to it to solve the problem, mabie i should ask confused if it's ok to do this, id hate to piss him off by performing non approved modifications

maybe I just dont know how to properly beat on a BMW, I know that any other car I ever owned wouldnt have done as good a job as this thing. I wish the racecar would stop as good as the 530, might not need a chute.

632 Regal
07-17-2004, 12:03 AM
i need more brakes on my e30 had some close calls, i am in the process of transplanting the suspension/brakes from a 98 m coupe on to it to solve the problem, mabie i should ask confused if it's ok to do this, id hate to piss him off by performing non approved modifications

winfred
07-17-2004, 12:08 AM
the rear is, the front is real close, little grind little weld i could do it quick and easy but i want better. the z3 is really a rebodyed e30

632 Regal
07-17-2004, 12:20 AM
the rear is, the front is real close, little grind little weld i could do it quick and easy but i want better. the z3 is really a rebodyed e30

winfred
07-17-2004, 12:26 AM
yep, the only thing abs looks for is a difference in wheel speeds across the car, as long as you don't screw up the bias so much that one end locks up way too easy or do something weird with tire sizes side to side or end to end it's happy. i am doing it as a package so it will be cool, just doing the front brakes would not be a good thing

632 Regal
07-17-2004, 12:33 AM
the racecar needs 70% more braking in the rear so it dont kill me if I hit the brakes at the end of the track, a lot of people start in the front. just weird ****, think I'll still invest in a chute just incase.

winfred
07-17-2004, 12:48 AM
you have a hell of a lot more meat on the back, the doughnuts on the front are having enough trouble dealing with all of that weight transfer plus the big block rumbling above squashing them

the racecar needs 70% more braking in the rear so it dont kill me if I hit the brakes at the end of the track, a lot of people start in the front. just weird ****, think I'll still invest in a chute just incase.

winfred
07-17-2004, 12:50 AM
I have been reading in this forum for about two months,I knew I wanted an e34 so I started to get familiar about them. So I just got one and now it's in storage for the next six months, I just got deployed to Uzbekistan. I want to upgrade the brakes and was planning in cross drilled rotors along with performance pads, but in reading about the use of the 850 brakes upgrades I wonder... should I just change over to the 850 brakes or go ahead with my original plan with rotors and pads.. any advice from anyone that has experienced this? The car will not be raced at all. I also want to change the struts and springs to lower the ride, I will like a somewhat stiffer ride but not to much, just sligtly than stock, any advice on this subject also will be appreciated. TIA, Dave

playero
07-17-2004, 04:40 AM
Thanks to all. Sorry I forgot to mention that it's a 525i auto, '95 year model. I really like this car a lot and been waiting for a while to get it. Looks like the shocks are about to quit, that's why I'm interested in a new set up and since I'll be working in there I thought that just may well do the breaks. It might not be needed, but I just like the fact of the upgrade. I will really like to know if I should keep the stock and change tth rotors or change to the bigger ones.

playero
07-17-2004, 04:57 AM
Thanks to all. Sorry I forgot to mention that it's a 525i auto, '95 year model. I really like this car a lot and been waiting for a while to get it. Looks like the shocks are about to quit, that's why I'm interested in a new set up and since I'll be working in there I thought that just may well do the breaks. It might not be needed, but I just like the fact of the upgrade. I will really like to know if I should keep the stock and change tth rotors or change to the bigger ones.
Sorry for the delay, I'm about 8-10 hrs difference from the US