PDA

View Full Version : For those rocking Euro Proj. with HID aspirations..

Jon K
07-16-2004, 01:25 AM
After reading much up on HIDforum.com, I decided today to venture into taking apart my euro ellipsoid projectors. I read that a slight warping or bending of the cut-off shield yields a similar color-band to that of the newer cars with factory HIDs. Figuring there's nothing to lose, I did just that. I took off the Depo projector from the outter lens. This was so incredibly easy! Not only does this allow for easy cleaning should the projector get dusty, but it also allows for the ability should you want to retrofit a newer/different projector housing to the backside of your euro lamp so as to get a new cuttoff/HID pattern yet remain with a stock looking lense from outside of the car. Bending the cut off shield somewhat toward the bulb base, or into the engine bay by 1/16 - 1/32 inch yielded a lot of the color-band like that of newer vehicles. I re-essembled the housing in about 10 minutes after cleaning the projector lens and the HID bulb looked ridiculously bright through the lens. It was daytime when I performed this "tweak" so I have yet to get pictures against a wall showing the much more dynamic color-band on the cut off line. The 15 degree tick is preserved in the light output due to the shield beind the same cut-out, just concaved in somewhat. Here is a picture of the projector outside of the housing.

http://e34.digital7.com/525%20HID/projector.jpg

I have more pictures on the camera in the car, but its 2am right now. I will get pictures of the output of the modified cut-off plate. I bet this would work with non-HID bulbs too to get more color out of them, though no promises. Welp cya's on the flip side.

Wyn
07-16-2004, 08:53 AM
I've never fully understood having a razor sharp cutoff line on headlights. It really sucks in my opion since It makes seeing stopsigns and other signs much harder to see, especially when they are placed higher than average.

Tiger
07-16-2004, 09:36 AM
Euro version has higher cutoff that lights up all the signs... USA on the other hand do not want that... stupid DOT rule of 1950.