PDA

View Full Version : V12 in an E34

Unregistered
07-15-2004, 11:51 PM
Hi Guys,

Does anyone know if the M70 (5.0 v12 from an e32 750 and the e31 850) will shoehorn into a e34?

and if it will - what would you expect would have to be changed to get it in there...

E34 525i 1990 M20 Manual

Thanks

Steve

Phil M
07-16-2004, 12:16 AM
theres only one guy known to the e34 community that has actually done it. theres a few threads on in in the archives. do a search. from what i remebmer, you pretty much gotta change the whole thing.

winfred
07-16-2004, 09:03 AM
i've looked into doing it, you need a 750 parts car because so much stuff is needed, the abs pump moves to behind the left headlight, the braking servo system needs to be converted from vacuum to hydrallic (vacuum booster won't clear the motor) need to install the eml system (unless the euro cars could be had with a throttle cable instead of the electric servos, at which point i want this setup) plus the tranny and i am not sure what it will need for a driveshaft. you end up rebuilding the car from the firewall forward with 750 parts

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know if the M70 (5.0 v12 from an e32 750 and the e31 850) will shoehorn into a e34?

and if it will - what would you expect would have to be changed to get it in there...

E34 525i 1990 M20 Manual

Thanks

Steve

Tiger
07-16-2004, 09:34 AM
Don't you think a 540i car is a better candidate for conversion? I know our brake servo is right behind the headlight... and the throttle I believe is also electric servo...

winfred
07-16-2004, 12:28 PM
the 540 deals with traction control with a extra throttle plate, but still uses a cable control for the fuel injection, the early cars do traction control with eml (electronic motor linkage or something like that) it takes place of the tps icv and cruise servo and gives the computer a way of limmiting power during wheel spin, as far as i know all 750s and some 535 had this as a option

uk525isport
07-16-2004, 02:16 PM
i thought about a rover v8 is this any easier?????

winfred
07-16-2004, 05:12 PM
the later rovers had bmw m62 v8's

i thought about a rover v8 is this any easier?????

Phil M
07-16-2004, 05:17 PM
the later rovers are basically bmw's in a rover shell. my (soon to be ex) girlfriends dad owns the local mercedes dealership and has one. i think its kinda oxymoronic to own a mercedes dealership and have a bmw engineered product be his daily driver. hmm well hes also got 3 AMG's, a 360 modena, and a shelby.. :/

BobbyB
07-16-2004, 05:21 PM
the later rovers are basically bmw's in a rover shell. my (soon to be ex) girlfriends dad owns the local mercedes dealership and has one. i think its kinda oxymoronic to own a mercedes dealership and have a bmw engineered product be his daily driver. hmm well hes also got 3 AMG's, a 360 modena, and a shelby.. :/

lee
07-16-2004, 05:21 PM
I don't understand this *need* to put a V12 into an E34 body. Is this really "bimmer.wearedragracingbaby.com"? With the additional weight, let alone complexity, how would the car handle? Then again, maybe you don't care how it handle?!

If you really NEED more power, why not sell your car and get an M5 or a 540i. Not enough power? That's sad.

May be if everybody took the time and money to attend a driving school or even a car control clinic and LEARN how to drive you car, you might learn to enjoy your cars.....

Phil M
07-16-2004, 05:47 PM
there is no need to put a m70 into an e34. no ****. this is a bmw enthusiast forum so if someone wants to go nuts and drop in a V12, dont question their needs. Is it also sad when someone buys a viper because they want more power? I know, I know.. the viper was designed to have that much power.. but same difference nonetheless.

PS. weight can be compensated for with better suspension. nothing is too complex for the determined E34 owner.

AllanS
07-16-2004, 08:33 PM
Confused? Let's clarify...

he's got a need... a need for speed

Honestly though... do you not feel any excitement at the thought of a 300hp v12 in an e34? Any at all???

panzershreck
07-16-2004, 08:40 PM

Honestly though... do you not feel any excitement at the thought of a 300hp v12 in an e34? Any at all???

i sure do... though the thought of completely re-doing the entire forward end of the car doesnt sound pleasant (only because it'd be a while before i could drive it)

of course, i'd have fun just rebuilding a V12 from bottom-up by itself :)

AllanS
07-16-2004, 09:14 PM
If I was doing it, I'd look into a custom engine management system... the idea of 2 electronic throttles and 2 seperate ecus doesn't seem like a holiday to me.

Maybe you could rig some kind of linkage up with the 2 throttle bodies, so that the tps on one is used, while the second is simply linked to the first. You could use a centered cantilever with rollers. Or a custom intake manifold with a single large tb. Maybe get rid of the distributers too, and use a direct ignition system.

It'd cost muy denero, but if I had an e34 (with a suitcase of cash in the trunk) lying around, and suddenly found an m70 for sale at the right price, I'd do it. I'd also add a couple turbochargers in the process, and a zeemax widebody kit. And a jet engine, since I'm already fantasizing here :)

confused
07-16-2004, 10:18 PM

No. Let's put it this way, a *stock* E34 M5 is a hand-built car that is DESIGNED to put out OVER 300 horses - can you say "BALANCE".

IF you need more, just get a *stock* E39 M5, that car is again DESIGNED to put out OVER 400 horses.

Still want your V12 toy junk that will be basically worthless to everyone else?!!!...

winfred
07-16-2004, 10:41 PM
not just yes but hell yes. yes the early m5 is a finely crafted piece of equipment, the e39 is a pain in the expensive electronic ass to work on but bloody fast, personally i don't want something that any swinging dick with more money then sence can have at the drop of a check. if you can't see the general coolness of a v12 oh well

Still want your V12 toy junk that will be basically worthless to everyone else?!!!...

bahnstormer
07-16-2004, 10:51 PM
dear confused,
stock sucks!
sincerely,
martin

heheh stock is great, but usually it can be improved upon. in ways that are blanaced so long as you PLAN everything out...so he wants to PLAN his conversion, get feedback etc etc on it. i think he's starting off on teh right path...

that being said if its power he wants there are much more effiecient ways to do it
if he wants to be unique, well this is a great way to go. heheh

over and out

632 Regal
07-16-2004, 11:12 PM
I smell...N2O..hehehehehehahahahahaheheheheahahahhuh huhhuh

confused
07-16-2004, 11:12 PM
not just yes but hell yes. yes the early m5 is a finely crafted piece of equipment, the e39 is a pain in the expensive electronic ass to work on but bloody fast, personally i don't want something that any swinging dick with more money then sence can have at the drop of a check. if you can't see the general coolness of a v12 oh well

And what exactly is cool? A car designed and built by the factory or some one off piece of junk that will probably be expensive and worthless?

First, there may be some sort of "general coolness" to you in having a v12, but I bet you'll have one UNBALANCED car. I bet any *stock* M5, be it E34 or E39, will run circles around this mythic V12 your revere, on ANY track!

Next, although you say the E39 M5 is "expensive electronic ass to work on", well, obviously you have NEVER worked on, let alone bought parts for a 750 or 850? You think those things are cheap to fix? Let's just say it has 2 of everything.

Sorry, but I seriously doubt you could plan, design or even dream of building a V12 E34 that will more balanced than a stock M5.....

632 Regal
07-16-2004, 11:17 PM
perhaps your just as your name suggests, confused?

winfred
07-16-2004, 11:36 PM
not that i need to justify myself to anyone i not only work on bimmers for a living i work at a bmw salvage yard and have at my disposal 2 nearly complete 750il's, i am not talking about building a world renound supercar or some kind of track demon, it's just a toy, not a financial investment. i don't have the figures on hand but based on experence the v12 does not weigh that much more then the m30. would you call a older 911 a good track car? if you just look at the #'s it should drive like a greasy piece of **** 38% f 63% r but that aint the true story now is it. i've had enough this pointless **** is starting to annoy me

Sorry, but I seriously doubt you could plan, design or even dream of building a V12 E34 that will more balanced than a stock M5.....

winfred
07-16-2004, 11:39 PM
i smell ****

I smell...N2O..hehehehehehahahahahaheheheheahahahhuh huhhuh

Rick L
07-17-2004, 03:34 AM
Ohhh great... It’s you again. Lee or Confused or whatever... Do you come to this forum to rip on people’s ideas or comments? I remember we had a heated argument about BMW coolant few weeks ago. If Steve wants to build E34 V12, why not? I remember seeing the E34 V12 here in Chicago earlier this year. I think that’s the one you guys are talking about. It’s an interesting and unique machine. I remember he had a tuff time selling the thing. Like you said, he could spend 3 times the value of the car to install the V12 but how could you put price on your toy/hobby? I have an old Maserati that’s not worth anything but I spend much time, effort, and money on it. You know what, I would do it all over again! :D

And what exactly is cool? A car designed and built by the factory or some one off piece of junk that will probably be expensive and worthless?

First, there may be some sort of "general coolness" to you in having a v12, but I bet you'll have one UNBALANCED car. I bet any *stock* M5, be it E34 or E39, will run circles around this mythic V12 your revere, on ANY track!

Next, although you say the E39 M5 is "expensive electronic ass to work on", well, obviously you have NEVER worked on, let alone bought parts for a 750 or 850? You think those things are cheap to fix? Let's just say it has 2 of everything.

Incantation^
07-17-2004, 04:46 AM
i think i speak for everyone when i say "shut the hell up and keep your nose out of threads that don't interest you". your assumption that this individual can't drive is idiotic, and there is no correlation with someone wanting to do something different with someone not being able to drive

ass

I don't understand this *need* t

the time and money to attend a driving school or even a car control clinic and LEARN how to drive you car, you might learn to enjoy your cars.....

MotoMan
07-18-2004, 12:33 PM
Confused, GO BE CONFUSED ELSWHERE!

If u have a tuff time understanding the mind of an enthusiast, then u are on the wrong board. Goto the Barbie or Ken site, and leave this one for the Adults. As for a V12 E34, I hope to be the proud owner of just such a beast in the VERY NEAR future.

BigD
07-18-2004, 01:13 PM
No problem. A friend of mine in Cincinatti has had an S70 (850CSi) installed in his E34 M5. One of the major ideas I remember they had was to mate the 750 wiring harness. So he now has pieces of 3 harnesses, the original 3.8L S38, the S70, and M70.

Hi Guys,

E34 525i 1990 M20 Manual

Thanks

Steve

BigD
07-18-2004, 01:17 PM
Hopefully this will UNconfuse you: the S70 weighs about 3lbs more than the S38. Now before you mess yourself, remember that the S70 is an aluminum block, the S38 is iron. (and this holds true for M70 vs M30 which balances 50/50 in the 535).

I don't understand this *need* to put a V12 into an E34 body. Is this really "bimmer.wearedragracingbaby.com"? With the additional weight, let alone complexity, how would the car handle? Then again, maybe you don't care how it handle?!

If you really NEED more power, why not sell your car and get an M5 or a 540i. Not enough power? That's sad.

May be if everybody took the time and money to attend a driving school or even a car control clinic and LEARN how to drive you car, you might learn to enjoy your cars.....

uk525isport
07-18-2004, 04:01 PM
the later rovers had bmw m62 v8's

my mate has a 3.5 from an sd1 complete with an auto box is this viable or would a 3.5. m30 be better???

funkmaster
01-07-2005, 05:47 PM
This months Performance BMW magazine has a HARTGE V12 E34 article.

Re. Unbalanced etc, "Lee/Confused", whatever, you can now change your name to "Shocked" if you like. Not only is it the Hartge lump, its the 6.0.

Deffianatly worth the read.

http://www.performancebmwmag.com/latest-issue.htm

scroll down to the bottom for a brief description and lurvely pic ;)

bofh
01-09-2005, 08:23 PM
Hopefully this will UNconfuse you: the S70 weighs about 3lbs more than the S38.

AHHHH! 3lbs! Can you image how horriblely imbalanced that would be? And extra 1/1000th of the cars weight, all up front?

How much Washer fluid would you have to leave out to make that balance? 3 cups maybe?

Anyway, as for why I think a v12 e34 would be awesome is the simple reason that a v12 is cooler sounding than a v8.

V12's are just simply cooler.

/I used to own a XJ12. It wasn't fast. It was cool however.

bimmerd00d
01-09-2005, 11:48 PM
not that i need to justify myself to anyone i not only work on bimmers for a living i work at a bmw salvage yard and have at my disposal 2 nearly complete 750il's, i am not talking about building a world renound supercar or some kind of track demon, it's just a toy, not a financial investment. i don't have the figures on hand but based on experence the v12 does not weigh that much more then the m30. would you call a older 911 a good track car? if you just look at the #'s it should drive like a greasy piece of **** 38% f 63% r but that aint the true story now is it. i've had enough this pointless **** is starting to annoy me

I'm with you dude. tired of newbs clogging up thsi forum with useless posts like these.

Interceptor
01-10-2005, 02:52 AM

Well, I would rather have a 300 hp I6 than a V12 - both consumption- and weight-wise.

Regards

winfred
01-10-2005, 01:34 PM
but the 300 hp v12 will have a butt load more torque and will be less stressed then the modded i6 don't get me wrong i love i6s

Well, I would rather have a 300 hp I6 than a V12 - both consumption- and weight-wise.

Regards

95-540iLE
01-12-2005, 02:04 AM
Link attached to actual pics of a 550i.

http://photocenter.bestbuy.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b3586549e427

It appears to be for sale.

Cheers

Incantation
01-12-2005, 02:24 AM
i think it's cool that someone is trying to do something different