PDA

View Full Version : what problems are associated w/hub-centric rings???

tim s
07-15-2004, 04:28 PM
i have a set of 1995 e36 m3 rims & i was told hear to use 20mm spacer rings.
is there any type of risks involved in using rings?
thanks
tim s.
1995 540i/a

Bill Marshall
07-15-2004, 05:42 PM
I've used the metal ones from Tire Rack for 4 years with not performance difficulties. However, I have experienced a bit of bi-metalic corrosion (even after using products designed to specifically prevent this) so upon removal of the rings, I've significantly distorted them and on one occassion had to purchase a replacement. Bill

DallasBill
07-15-2004, 06:50 PM
I used to have them w/ some Borbet wheels. They tended to stick to the wheel sometimes, so I made sure to mention that to the Discount tire guys eveytime I went in for a balance/rotation. They mangled them more than twice, but always got me news ones... at their cost... via Tire rack. At least w/ mine you could run without them for a short while.

The Mille Miglia wheels I have now have a hard, black polymer type that are a lot more thicker and sturdier than the metal ones... I have had no issues at all w/ them.

tim s
07-15-2004, 07:55 PM
thanks
tim s.

Chip
07-16-2004, 07:46 AM
The spacers are needed for the M3 wheels due to the larger offset of the wheel. Without the spacers the inside of the wheel/tire would rub on struts/shocks and possible other components. With the spacers, the wheel is pushed outwards and will have the clearance to be mounted. You will probably need longer mounting bolts or studs. These are different than hubcentric rings. The rings are used to fill the gap around the hub. ie- e39 hubs are ~74mm and e34 hubs are ~72mm, so the rings would be used to makeup this difference (fill the gap).
I've heard that the M3 wheels will rub the fender on tight turns on e34's, but they do look nice.

Good Luck-

rickm
07-16-2004, 08:15 AM
You'll need 50mm or so studs. (If you search the board for "20mm" you'll see where others have asked this question before.)