PDA

View Full Version : group buy for ellispoid owners

rbeaud
07-15-2004, 02:26 PM
Check out this group buy on lamps from Daniel Stern Lighting. These are an improvement over the upgrade listed on Bruno's site (http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Upgrade/More_light.htm)

No affiliation to DSL, just a member of UUC trying to increase the group buy potential by alerting the E34 community. I didn' get any interest the first time, maybe no one cares?

http://www.rdautosport.com/GroupBuy.htm

Cheers,

Roland

AllanS
07-15-2004, 03:39 PM
These don't happen to work with older non-ellipsoids, do they?

Phil M
07-15-2004, 03:42 PM
they dont.. they arent capped so the light is really wide with no throw. it needs the ellipsoid to concentrate the light. ..in a nutshell

ill buy a pair, definately

Unregistered
07-16-2004, 04:38 PM
They will work with no elipsoid lamps, the 9012 has a cap on it. These are worth every penny and more for the lowbeams, I use them on my wifes 525i with elipsoids, my Landcruiser and my sister-in-laws 525i. They put out equivilant light to the 80 watt Koreon bulbs I used in the Landcruiser prior, but are 1) properly focused, and 2) have a life of about 1000 hours instead of about 50.

I also have the High beam bulbs, and they make a difference but not nearly as dramatic as the low beams.

BTW, does anyone have an old set of Ellipsoids they want to get rid of cheap. The ones on my sister in laws car are cracked an pitted and really need to be replaced.

Thanks

Cary

Cary@ifn.net

Phil M
07-16-2004, 05:10 PM
Ah, well as long as they have a cap, then it should work. Makes sense since the 9011's arent capped. I'm anxious to get a pair.

They will work with no elipsoid lamps, the 9012 has a cap on it. These are worth every penny and more for the lowbeams, I use them on my wifes 525i with elipsoids, my Landcruiser and my sister-in-laws 525i. They put out equivilant light to the 80 watt Koreon bulbs I used in the Landcruiser prior, but are 1) properly focused, and 2) have a life of about 1000 hours instead of about 50.

I also have the High beam bulbs, and they make a difference but not nearly as dramatic as the low beams.

BTW, does anyone have an old set of Ellipsoids they want to get rid of cheap. The ones on my sister in laws car are cracked an pitted and really need to be replaced.

Thanks

Cary

Cary@ifn.net

Deke NorCal
07-18-2004, 01:23 AM
So this will work with the US-Ellipsoids? and is Brighter than those expensive SilverStars 9005's???

If so i will definately buy a pair

Unregistered
07-19-2004, 11:35 AM
Silver Star Bulbs = 1000 lumens
Toshiba Harrison 9012 HIR Bulbs (Those sold by Daniel Stern) = 1700+ lumens.
True HID Bulbs= 2800-3200 lumens.

In short, there is no comparision. FYI, if you want to get really outrageous, you could get the 9011 HIR with 2500+ lumens and do the e34 net mod to fit them in the low beam slots. It is really not necessary and since the shaft size of the 9011 is 20mm vs. the 9012 being 22mm you have to shim with orings to get a snug fit. Just remember 9006= 9012 and 9005 = 9011.

Note that the HID conversion kits do not have proper filimant alignment while the HIR bulbs do. The result is the HIR bulbs put down as much light on the road.

Cary

Jon K
07-19-2004, 04:44 PM
Note that the HID conversion kits do not have proper filimant alignment while the HIR bulbs do. The result is the HIR bulbs put down as much light on the road.

Cary

If you have proper based 9006 housing HID bulbs, the fitment most definitely is correct. If you jimmy D2S bulbs into 9006 sockets, that's where your fitment problem is.

mike wong
07-20-2004, 01:28 AM
exerpt from correspondence with Daniel:

Me: > why do you not recommend using the 9011 modded to fit
> in the lowbeam side?

Daniel: The shank is smaller in diameter than required, which causes the bulb
to rattle around in the lamp, which affects the beam pattern and shortens
the bulb life -- speaking of which, 9011 has a much shorter life than 9012.

Cary,

your trick is to use o-rings to compensate for the smaller shank/shaft, huh?
sounds like you've already tested it. does that hold up over time?

mike

QUOTE=Unregistered]Silver Star Bulbs = 1000 lumens
Toshiba Harrison 9012 HIR Bulbs (Those sold by Daniel Stern) = 1700+ lumens.
True HID Bulbs= 2800-3200 lumens.

In short, there is no comparision. FYI, if you want to get really outrageous, you could get the 9011 HIR with 2500+ lumens and do the e34 net mod to fit them in the low beam slots. It is really not necessary and since the shaft size of the 9011 is 20mm vs. the 9012 being 22mm you have to shim with orings to get a snug fit. Just remember 9006= 9012 and 9005 = 9011.

Cary[/QUOTE]

Unregistered
07-20-2004, 11:40 AM
If you have proper based 9006 housing HID bulbs, the fitment most definitely is correct. If you jimmy D2S bulbs into 9006 sockets, that's where your fitment problem is.

There is no such thing as a 9006 housing HID bulb. Any HID bulb made to fit a 9006 housing is a just a DS2 rebased. THe filimant lenght is still wrong and does not focus properly. If you don't believe me, ask Mr. Stern and he will confirm.

Unregistered
07-20-2004, 11:44 AM
Cary,

your trick is to use o-rings to compensate for the smaller shank/shaft, huh?
sounds like you've already tested it. does that hold up over time?

mike

I agree with Mr. Stern. I was noting that you could do the trick for retrofitting the 9005 bulb into the 9006 socket as outlined at e34net. Here is the link http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Upgrade/More_light.htm

I have not done this swap as I find the 9012 HIR bulbs to be more than adequate and don't want to fiddle with getting the smaller shaft to fit. I was just noting for those who might want to go from great to outragous. Also, as Mr. Stern Noted you go from a bulb that has a life of 1000+ hours (longer than stock) to one that lasts 275 hours.

Cary