PDA

View Full Version : Superchip

krisby
07-14-2004, 05:22 PM
The E34 site suggests not to waste ones money on an aftermarket chip, however I am still thinking about it.

A local guy here in NZ imports superchips from the UK and reckons that on a 1990 525 I can expect 12bhp and about 40lb/ft torque improvement, with a lot of the power being moved down the rev range, if so I am definetly tempted.

Its $950 fitted though, but I think once my house sells I will be up for it, for that sort of gain I want to risk it. He fits the chips for my local BMW dealer too so I guess he must good and the parts must work.

Phil M
07-14-2004, 05:29 PM
um, why not a EAT chip? is that $950 US or ? i dont know the exchange rate but either way thats way TOO much. get an EAT chip for $200US and install it yourself. Very simple. MarkD, a regular on this forum, makes them. Everyone will agree that EAT chips are the only way to go..

URL: www.dsylva-tech.ca
email: mark@dsylva-tech.ca

ryan roopnarine
07-14-2004, 05:49 PM
900 in NZ money is just under 600 us dollars....any shipping costs from toronto would likely make up for that :D

G Feller
07-14-2004, 06:03 PM
. . . but a good chip makes a noticeable difference and is certainly the best bang for the buck in these cars. The key is to get a good, reputable chip. Many board members have one of these:

EAT chips (http://www.dsylva-tech.ca/)

You mention getting it fitted - this is an extremely easy mod (one part, about the size of the average thumb), doable with instructions from the manufacturer or the Internet. No need to waste your cash on having it installed by someone else. And even with shipping, you should be able to get a good chip for a much better price than that.

Krisby:

The E34 site suggests not to waste ones money on an aftermarket chip, however I am still thinking about it.

A local guy here in NZ imports superchips from the UK and reckons that on a 1990 525 I can expect 12bhp and about 40lb/ft torque improvement, with a lot of the power being moved down the rev range, if so I am definetly tempted.

Its $950 fitted though

632 Regal
07-14-2004, 06:46 PM
I dont know G, The first time I did the chiparoo game I had a hard time seperating the boards and could have easily broke them in my situation. Now that there all worn out (broke in) I can replace one in about 5 minutes from the time I open the hood. It might not be worth risking if your going to only do it once. Wonder how much an ECU is for him to buy?

Just my oppinion.

Phil M
07-14-2004, 06:47 PM
just dont be in a rush and take your time :p

I dont know G, The first time I did the chiparoo game I had a hard time seperating the boards and could have easily broke them in my situation. Now that there all worn out (broke in) I can replace one in about 5 minutes from the time I open the hood. It might not be worth risking if your going to only do it once. Wonder how much an ECU is for him to buy?

Just my oppinion.

G Feller
07-14-2004, 06:56 PM
Many of us have done this ourselves, so it is certainly DIY-worthy, but yes, take your time and do it right if you do it. I actually had a little trouble with mine, too, but all ended well.

If you have someone else do it, keep in mind when they bill you that it takes someone who knows what they are doing about 5 mintes to do this.

But if you've never done it (or any DIY) before, it might take two hours.

A very good investment of your time and $, regardless.

just dont be in a rush and take your time :p

AllanS
07-14-2004, 11:03 PM
For 950$ you could just fly MarkD out there and have him install the EAT chip himself! And I'm talking AUS dollars too- that's damn expensive.

Dick Schneiders
07-15-2004, 05:08 AM
board and not the dual sandwich one that is in our cars? I, too, had a real problem getting them apart on my 1991 525i, but if he has the M20 engine, then it should be a lot easier. I am only going on memory, and it is based on U.S. specs also.

The shipping costs on a chip will be nominal, also.

Dick Schneiders

Just my oppinion.

nickple
07-15-2004, 07:36 AM
Last night installed the EAT chip, there are the two taps one on the right and the left one. However there are two other ones on the top row. If you slide yoru thin flathead screwdriver and push down, the board will slid with ease.

Just my oppinion.

Warren N.CA
07-15-2004, 04:03 PM
Mexican Pesos!

Contact Mark D'Sylva on this board and ask him if he can make a chip for your car. If so, he will charge $US 199 plus shipping, I think. You can fit it yourself. It AIN'T "rocket science."

Its $950 fitted though, but I think once my house sells I will be up for it, for that sort of gain I want to risk it. He fits the chips for my local BMW dealer too so I guess he must good and the parts must work.

krisby
07-15-2004, 06:40 PM
ok you got me, sounds like a better solution too cos its tried and tested by you fullas.

Will have a look at the housing first and see how easy a job I think it will be. Mine is the 1990 M20 (though I have a feeling it might have actually been a 1989 but registered in 1990).

presumably no more power, but better throttle response? what about fuel economy, any different?

Phil M
07-15-2004, 07:15 PM
89 and 90 m20s are the same. the car will have a bit more power availiable since the timing will be changed. smoother idle, better throttle response, more torque are all expected with an EAT chip.

...which brings me to ask myself why the hell i dont have one yet?

oh yeah, youll have to use an octane of gas a bit higher. here in the states the recommended octane rating is 89, but you have to use 91 with an EAT chip due to the different timing. (right mark?) im not sure what the octane ratings are over there.. all i know is that youll have to use something with a bit more bite. also you can expect to get better gas mileage with the EAT chip

krisby
07-16-2004, 12:29 AM
fuel won't be a problem then, generally 91 and 96 are available, though Gull are usually one above the rest at 92 and 97, and BP to a 98.

Will have to wait until my house sells then fork out the readies for this upgrade.