PDA

View Full Version : Arghhh, the littl problems are always the hardest

bjl4776
07-14-2004, 02:34 PM
Ok, iv had it, and i have diagnosed myself with OCD but i can't figure out what the hell is wrong with me car. Its nothing major, and for the most part my car runs fine, but this is keeping me up at night. There is a whistling noise coming from the forward part of my engine near my alternator. I have been told that it can be a alternator bearing, but i was also told that i could tell if it was by using a stethascope type thing. I was also told by a friend that i could just use a long screwdriver and hold my ear to it and i would get the same effect. Well i tried and it doesn't seem to be making any strange noise, but of coarse ive never done this before so im not exactly sure what to be listining for, can anybody clear this up for me. Ok, so say its not the alternator bearing, what the f&%@ else could it be. Iv also been told that it could of been a vacuum leak, but iv inspected all of the vacuum lines and all seems to be in order except for the duct that goes from the MAF to the throttle body. The openings for the two lines that go off of it are cracked, but this has been this way for awhile and this problem is relatively recent. I have been told that a vacuum leak would cause driveability probelms, and i have a slight one that is only noticible when i start off really slow, or I stomp on the gas. It is an extremely loud almost popping noise somewhere from the MAF on back. It is really loud, and i can feel it if my hand is on the airbox and i quickly open the throttle all the way. I don't know if these two problems are related or not, but either way i would like to figure out whats going on. Sorry for all of the rambling, but im really starting to get pissed off. Oh yea, and i also took the injectors out and they all appeared to be clean, as well as the throttle body, there was a little bit of oil on the throttle body but not too much, and the problem didnt get any better. Its a '92 525i 5-speed