PDA

View Full Version : Windshield Wiper Chattering

Andrew
07-13-2004, 04:55 PM
Hello. The drivers side windshield wiper on my '90 535i "chatters" as the wiper returns to the rest position. I tried replacing the blade (the entire plastic assembly, not just the wiper insert) with one from Bavarian Autosport and this did not help. I suspect that it may be the wiper arm. Does anyone have any tips? Is it possible that the arm needs to be bent back into shape?

Or, is there a place to purchase a new arm online?

Thanks!
Andrew

Tiger
07-13-2004, 06:12 PM
Bend the arm yourself... bend it so you see that the wiper is angled perpendicular to the windshield.

Andrew
07-13-2004, 07:22 PM
Thanks. That seemed to help- it still chatters, but not as bad. I'll probably pick up a new arm if I can find one. Andrew.

ScottyWM
07-13-2004, 08:16 PM
Finally bought the insert from BMA for the original arm, put it on, no more chatter :)

Don't know why... wouldn't think it would make any difference, just happy I got rid of the chatter.

Scott

Tiger
07-14-2004, 12:54 AM
bend more

Jeff N.
07-14-2004, 01:31 AM
I agree - replace the blade holder. Seems that the little hinges in the blade holder slowly wear over time. The extra slop this induces make the blade chatter more. I swapped out both my holders and the problem went away.

Jeff

MicahO
07-14-2004, 07:57 AM
Mine did this when the hold-down nut was getting loose. I only realized that was the problem the day that the driver's side arm flew off in a downpour - before that I was replacing rubbers and blades to no good effect. Check the torque on the nuts at the base of the arm.

Andrew
07-14-2004, 11:17 AM
Thanks for all the additional responses. I wish the rain would stop all together around here, but I'll go out and try tightening the nut and bending more. If this does not help, I'll just replace everything. (Arm, blade, holder, etc.) Andrew