PDA

View Full Version : Some (insert expletive of choice here) sideswiped my car last night while parked

Jason
07-13-2004, 02:19 PM
I have worked hard to keep the car away from situations where this might happen, even dings, i never park near people, i dont have a garage or driveway so some scratches etc are invetible... but this... this infuriates me. no note or anything. i need paint and some repair to the doors as they have been dented. i don't have much experience with body work, so can anyone help me with what to expect or how to go about this?

MotoMan
07-13-2004, 02:31 PM
I have worked hard to keep the car away from situations where this might happen, even dings, i never park near people, i dont have a garage or driveway so some scratches etc are invetible... but this... this infuriates me. no note or anything. i need paint and some repair to the doors as they have been dented. i don't have much experience with body work, so can anyone help me with what to expect or how to go about this?

Damn sorry to hear abt u'r car dude. I unfortunately do not have any panel know how, But real Sorry to hear. I know how u must feel, my wife ploughed the left hand side of my car into our garage the other nite......

632 Regal
07-13-2004, 02:32 PM
you DO have full coverage for your car right? Call the cops and the insurance company and get it fixed. Other than that can you take some pictures of the damage and people can give you suggestions.

rickm
07-13-2004, 02:34 PM
Like Jeff said call the police ASAP. If you have some pictures of your car, have them handy. Good luck!

Elekta
07-13-2004, 02:48 PM
buhmer

Your best hope is that they hit another car a few blocks past yours and got nailed for dwi. Check for his/her paint. Maybe you can figure out what car hit you by paint type color? Miami CSI? Hopefully the detectives will be boobylicious

DaCan23
07-13-2004, 02:49 PM
My recent... Someone stole 2 of my valve caps... what pisses me off most.... just take all 4... WTF does someone want 2 for.... Beemer... Doh

AllanS
07-13-2004, 03:00 PM
If your 535i still has the original paint job, I would look into buying doors from another black e34 of the same or similar year, if your insurance company won't cover a full repaint. Repairing your doors and repainting them will make them definately stand out from the 14 year old paint, depending on the original paint's condition.

I saw a red e30 318i a few weeks ago that had a couple doors repainted, and it looked horrendous- they really stood out. My entire front end had been repainted, everything but the rear right door and beyond, probably 5 or so years ago. Even though it was done by a professional, it still stands out, because the original paint has aged and has small cracks and oxidation in the clearcoat.

DallasBill
07-13-2004, 05:14 PM
Very sorry to hear it, and I would like to give you some hope that it can be repainted good as new.

I caught the angle-iron edge of a lawn mower crew's trailer 3 year ago while trying to avoid an oncoming (right at me!) Mercedes on my narrow street. I was going about 10mph. It caught the trailing edge of the passenger wheel well, at bumper strip level, and tore a 1 inch gouge down the entire passenger side of the car, finally catching the rear bumper wraparound and tearing the whole d@mn (d@mn) thing off, leaving it lying in the street behind me.

Needless to say, I was miffed! :(

But, the body shop did a simply awesome job and you would never know to this day that anything had happened!

PS... 3 days later, my not-so-sharp neighbor came out and asked me if I was OK, as he had seen me walking towards my house, carrying my bumper over my shoulder! :p

DanH
07-14-2004, 08:49 AM
Some kid has a nice set of BMW valve caps on his bike...at least he could've left his old ones for you... :p

bimmerd00d
07-14-2004, 10:04 AM
Very sorry to hear it, and I would like to give you some hope that it can be repainted good as new.

I caught the angle-iron edge of a lawn mower crew's trailer 3 year ago while trying to avoid an oncoming (right at me!) Mercedes on my narrow street. I was going about 10mph. It caught the trailing edge of the passenger wheel well, at bumper strip level, and tore a 1 inch gouge down the entire passenger side of the car, finally catching the rear bumper wraparound and tearing the whole d@mn (d@mn) thing off, leaving it lying in the street behind me.

Needless to say, I was miffed! :(

But, the body shop did a simply awesome job and you would never know to this day that anything had happened!

PS... 3 days later, my not-so-sharp neighbor came out and asked me if I was OK, as he had seen me walking towards my house, carrying my bumper over my shoulder! :p

hello fellow dallas E34 owner :) What part do you live in?

Unregistered
07-14-2004, 10:24 AM
that this happened to me. I actually woke up and had to go check my car, then I came in to work and read this post. Im sorry to hear about your car though man I hope that guy got hit by a mack truck a few blocks away. Those BMW valve covers are just too tempting to petty thieves. My roomate has gone through at least 3 sets in a matter of months.

DaCan23
07-14-2004, 11:07 AM
LOL... prob with an //M Badge hangin off the seat...

Jason
07-14-2004, 12:07 PM
Looking at around 700-900 for the two doors, not sure if its worth going through insurance since my deductable is 500 bucks any thoughts?. I guess its not as bad as it could have been, nevertheless its money i didnt need to spend. Thank you all for the comments/info/input/replies.

DallasBill
07-14-2004, 03:04 PM
hello fellow dallas E34 owner :) What part do you live in?Thanks, Bimmerd00d!

I live in the M-Streets, a few blocks east of Terilli's. I do minor stuff myself but take have taken it to Overseas Auto Haus (used to be called Europa) for years for the major stuff.
And you??

Rick
07-14-2004, 03:14 PM
Sorry the hear that, Jason. Depending the the insurance deductible, it might be better off fixing it yourself. My comprehensive is $250 so if the damage is under $400, I wouldn't claim it. If you claim it, you insurance will go up even though it wasn't your fault. Good luck...