PDA

View Full Version : OT: Rant about "Unregistered" and "Guest"

billb
07-12-2004, 03:28 PM
(On soapbox) Folks,
Is it really that hard to register? I understand guest logins, as sometimes your cookies are gone, but, I find it difficult to engage in a post from someone who is Unregistered, a guest, and who does not even leave a name to refer to. It makes it difficult to direct a response back to them, depending on which thread view you're using.

For the sake of sanity, how about at least signing some sort of name at the end of your posts, even if it's not your real one. I had to go look at an ebay listing to see who was posting their car for sale, for pete's sake (and no, it wasn't Pete!)

(Off soapbox.) :D

Bill B.

Phil M
07-12-2004, 03:32 PM
I agree wholeheartedly. Register people! it only takes a few seconds and its free! And youll establish a personality on here rather than be some anonymous sap. Humans were not engineered to be anonymous. Declassify yourself!

pwalk10
07-12-2004, 03:50 PM
I've been registered from the beginning (Pwalk100), but I can't stand the way the forum looks (and operates) once you log in. I really like the unregistered function (similar to the other boards I'm logged into) and I've tried everything to duplicate it with the view settings, but to no avail. Until someone tells me how to do that I'll remian un-logged on.

-Phil
Pwalk100

Unregistered
07-12-2004, 03:52 PM
(On soapbox)
For the sake of sanity, how about at least signing some sort of name at the end of your posts, even if it's not your real one. (Off soapbox.) :D

Bill B.

No problem, Bill.

-Elvis

Brian C.
07-12-2004, 03:54 PM
A week or so ago, two unregistereds were arguing with each other and I swore it was my schizophrenia acting up again! No I didn't. Yes I did! :) :(

Yes, at least have the courtesy to sign a name to your post. Any name, just something to reference you by.

Brian C.

ryan roopnarine
07-12-2004, 04:05 PM
i shall be graceful enough to increase my relative "bombasity" by changing my user name from ryan roopnarine to "Texas with a dollar sign" if that helps. i'm a little concerned about all of the sniping that seems to be going on under the unregistered moniker as of late.

Brian C.
07-12-2004, 04:19 PM
:d

Phil M
07-12-2004, 04:22 PM
never ceases to amaze me

Texa$$
07-12-2004, 04:36 PM
somebody watches family guy.....

No problem, Bill.

-Elvis

Unregistered
07-12-2004, 04:37 PM
but i also agree that i dont like the way the forum looks when i sign in. I am registered and i actually can't figure out what my password was. I also apoloize because that was probably my car you looked at on ebay (pretty aint she?) But I am registered as tetsuo48. Nice to meet you

Brian C.
07-12-2004, 04:38 PM
[ ;)

ryan roopnarine
07-12-2004, 04:51 PM
nevermind, elvis was from this week's sucktacular episode of the simpsons, just lstened to the audio, and that's why i was confused.

Unregistered
07-12-2004, 04:58 PM
Couldnt get into it at first I never really paid it much mind (its a talking value meal for christs sakes) but now that i started watching regularly its one of the funniest shows ive ever seen. Really if you havent watched it, give it a chance

Unregistered
07-12-2004, 07:39 PM
I'm also registered with a password which doesn't work. I've whined a little but really don't care anymore. Everyone seems to have accepted what's here
and as long as I can read the board and throw in my occaisonal contribution, that'll have to do. I always sign......

Paul

winfred
07-13-2004, 12:04 AM
ditto, it looked like dumb **** but then i sat down a watched it and it really is dumb ****, but it's my kinda dumb ****. meatwad rules

Couldnt get into it at first I never really paid it much mind (its a talking value meal for christs sakes) but now that i started watching regularly its one of the funniest shows ive ever seen. Really if you havent watched it, give it a chance

George M
07-13-2004, 06:13 AM
until the rules are changed, it will continue. The irony is those that think they are being cute by posting purely ananamously shoot themselves in the foot because many that know the answer will not respond to an ananamous post from someone that doesn't put forth the courtesy to sign his own name. When I post from a remote site that doesn't have established cookies to sign me in, and I enter under a guest sign in...I always still represent who I am. Most message boards and for good reason will not allow a post without registering first to prevent this issue. Ed since it is an epidemic and is offensive to many long time board members...you may want to consider implementing this change because the board ends up being cluttered by people who don't have the common courtesy of representing who they are but still expect answers to their problems. Not sure people like that deserve solid answers anyway, so consider removing this as an option as many other message boards out there have for the reasons stated above.
George

Dick Schneiders
07-13-2004, 08:55 AM
old(er) and not nearly as "cool" as the younger crowd. It also frustrates me and I tend to shy away from discussions that are instigated by the Unregistered. However, there have been a few that obviously have a lot of good information to share about these cars and so it is a constant process of my making a decision whether or not to participate. Those (it sound like I am denegrating the Unregistered, and I really don't mean to do that in any huge degree) that post their questions in an informed and well worded manner will, initially, get the same attention from me that anyone does, even if they choose not to end the posting with an actual name. However, if the question is in some bastardized type of English, or Eubonics, or Pig Latin, or without punctuation, or anything else that is an obvious choice of the poster to try and be "cool", I will ignore it as if it were in a foreign language.

Sorry, but that is one of my foibles and if that makes me a snob - so be it.

Dick (and proud to be one) Schneiders

until the rules are changed, it will continue. The irony is those that think they are being cute by posting purely ananamously shoot themselves in the foot because many that know the answer will not respond to an ananamous post from someone that doesn't put forth the courtesy to sign his own name. When I post from a remote site that doesn't have established cookies to sign me in, and I enter under a guest sign in...I always still represent who I am. Most message boards and for good reason will not allow a post without registering first to prevent this issue. Ed since it is an epidemic and is offensive to many long time board members...you may want to consider implementing this change because the board ends up being cluttered by people who don't have the common courtesy of representing who they are but still expect answers to their problems. Not sure people like that deserve solid answers anyway, so consider removing this as an option as many other message boards out there have for the reasons stated above.
George

George M
07-13-2004, 10:18 AM
lol...well said Dick. I am old..but not really a foggie...well...not that I would admit anyay...haha. Your comment about using alternative linguistic style is f-ing hilarious.
I do try to be tolerate however of the "cool factor" as this is afterall a car forum so try to judge more on content of the question than how it was phrased. Also some deference should be given to those throughout the world that don't embrace English as their native language. So to postulate in Queen's english...a veritable conundrum...lol. Pro's and Con's to each and why we struggle as few issues are cut and dried. Occasionally an unregistered guest comes forward with meaningful content and clarity as you say...which of course is just the alter-ego of a long time board member who prefers to post ananomously. :-)
George

billb
07-13-2004, 10:23 AM
Not that I can offer any more sound advice than most of the folks in our little community, but at least I sign 'em.

And I sign 'em Bill B., because my last name is Bass, and I always get the "So are you related to the designer?"..."No, that was Bill BLass". "Oh, how about the shoe company?"..."No, that's G.H. Bass."..."Oh, beer company then?"..."No." No relation.

Just Bill B. then. Registered poster.

Unregistered
07-13-2004, 10:30 AM
Well, I've used the unregistered moniker because it's quicker and simpler than logging in, and because I'm wary of the potential for loss of internet privacy.

Please accept my apology for any offense given by this, as surely none was intended.

Please also understand that I have never flamed anyone, used bad or insulting language, or even poor grammar. Further, I do not approve of or engage in rudeness or ad hominum attacks.

That said, may I please continue to occasionally but anonymously join in your discussions or ask relevant E34-related questions? I just have ongoing concerns about internet privacy, so prefer to be nameless for that reason alone.

George M
07-13-2004, 10:44 AM
your answer is a blantant no...you are allowed no future posts. This action is for the reasons you state....because you have never flamed anyone, used bad or insulting language, or even poor grammar or engaged in rudeness or ad hominum attacks.

This board has therefore judged you to be souless, guilty of not only no identity (double negative) but no opinion on anything and henceworth coined as eternally benign which I think you should adopt as your new handle.
:-)
George

DaCan23
07-13-2004, 10:46 AM
Dracula is not in the bus, he is the bus...

DaCan23
07-13-2004, 10:47 AM
Hey Carl... how's it goin..

G Feller
07-13-2004, 10:55 AM
Keep in mind that you need to provide your e-mail address only so the editor can get in touch with you if necessary - you can adjust settings (as I and I'm sure many others have) so your e-mail addy is unavailable to anyone but the editor. Also, there are a lot of techies on this board who have demonstrated their willingness to help anyone keep intruders out of their computers.

As we have noted, many unregistered posts are articulate and helpful. But we simply have no way to tell one unregistered poster from another. It would indeed help if unregistereds would tack some sort of moniker to the end of their posts - Elvis is perfectly cool, there are no other Elvises here so far. If you developed a "voice" under that (or another) signature, we would be comfortable with that and recognize you.

But, finally, since you are unregistered, anyone can post as unregistered and pretend to be "Elvis" (and flame others while doing so). We have seen that problem here before.

We will continue to respond to all reasonable posts (all sincere posts are welcome), but there is certainly great potential for confusion and frustration without registration.

Cheers all,

Greg

Well, I've used the unregistered moniker because it's quicker and simpler than logging in, and because I'm wary of the potential for loss of internet privacy.

Please also understand that I have never flamed anyone, used bad or insulting language, or even poor grammar. Further, I do not approve of or engage in rudeness or ad hominum attacks.

may I please continue to occasionally but anonymously join in your discussions or ask relevant E34-related questions?

Dick Schneiders
07-13-2004, 11:23 AM
I knew that it was you.

That should get you thinking. :-)

Dick (trying my damnedest to be) Schneiders

Occasionally an unregistered guest comes forward with meaningful content and clarity as you say...which of course is just the alter-ego of a long time board member who prefers to post ananomously. :-)
George

George M
07-13-2004, 11:40 AM
Thanks to you Greg and Ed for the great job you do managing this forum.
Cheers,
George

G Feller
07-13-2004, 12:16 PM
maybe Micah and maybe Rickm here and there, and there was Ilya for a while (sorry if I left anyone out) . . . I just get the "Moderator" title because I promised Ed I'll do my part along the way to help keep things organized.

I know it takes some real behind-the-scenes work by Ed et al., but I feel like this board is entirely self-sustaining . . . it would indeed be nothing without all the names (sorry) I have learned to recognize quickly over the year I've been reading and posting here. Have had hardly any issue with my car, but have learned a ton, read several funny jokes, and have always been eager to get this site up when my computer comes to life.

I think there's another virtual [E34?] car show coming up one of these days . . . ?

Thanks to you Greg and Ed for the great job you do managing this forum.

Cheers,
George

scott540
07-13-2004, 05:19 PM
lol...well said Dick. I am old..but not really a foggie...well...not that I would admit anyay...haha. Your comment about using alternative linguistic style is f-ing hilarious.
I do try to be tolerate however of the "cool factor" as this is afterall a car forum so try to judge more on content of the question than how it was phrased. Also some deference should be given to those throughout the world that don't embrace English as their native language. So to postulate in Queen's english...a veritable conundrum...lol. Pro's and Con's to each and why we struggle as few issues are cut and dried. Occasionally an unregistered guest comes forward with meaningful content and clarity as you say...which of course is just the alter-ego of a long time board member who prefers to post ananomously. :-)
George

Damn George, when you and Dick get going on something I laugh so damm hard. You old guys are cool!!!

Sincerely, logged on, registered and signed:

rickm
07-13-2004, 05:35 PM
If you want to keep "anonymous" just put some initials or a pen name at the end of your posts. It makes it MUCH easier for folks to reply to....like since you leave some ID so you put yourself above the "Drive-By Posters". If a name is too much then put your ride in there, aka "1993 535, 5 speed".

Derek A.
07-13-2004, 10:29 PM
If you are concerned about privay go to yahoo.com and sign up for a free email account. I think the board should be mandatory sign up, your mileage may vary...

Paul in NZ
07-14-2004, 05:43 AM
and year of your e34 is listed.It really does make a difference..Please register,you can put any name you like,yo dont have to put any detals in your profile......For instance if any guys fron NZ look on here or someone has a RHD query you know who to ask for......

scott540
07-14-2004, 07:02 AM
and year of your e34 is listed.It really does make a difference..Please register,you can put any name you like,yo dont have to put any detals in your profile......For instance if any guys fron NZ look on here or someone has a RHD query you know who to ask for......

Yeah, like when people see me ask a question and it's related to anything more difficult than changing oil, they know to dumb it down and and talk slowwwwly.

Paul in NZ
07-15-2004, 03:48 AM
now thas whaaat immm talking about willis