PDA

View Full Version : Just did a NYC-Pittsburgh-NYC trip this weekend

Jason
07-12-2004, 01:52 PM
and if i have said it once, i have said it a 1000 times... the E34 is a fine highway machine. pulled off the whole 750 mile round trip w/o a hiccup avg mph according to the obc was 74 (mpg was a little off though) and the car feels planted and solid at all speeds. Once i got into 5th when i got into NJ i dont think i shifted again, till i got off the highway. its hard to beleive that this was avaiable 15 yrs ago. I can't think of many other cars i would like to take a long trip in...

Phil M
07-12-2004, 03:20 PM
I totally understand. I have driven from Lexington to Granville OH, right outside of Columbus like 10 times. And will be looking forward to making the trip many times as I will be attending Denison University in Granville. I absolutely love the drive. Theres a stretch from Cinci to Columbus thats almost perfectly straight and goes for about 110 miles. Set that cruise on about 105-110 and make sure that radars on and all i can say is niiiice. It really feels as if youre just going 60. Oh so solid. I couldnt imagine having an e34 in the early 90's. German engineering is 2nd to none, IMHO. :)

Kamil
07-12-2004, 03:58 PM
Yup, I drive between Boston and NYC all the time... awesome highway cruiser my 535 is... 5th gear pull from 70mph to 90mph is great... I can just imagine how it would be w/ a turbo on it. :D

I avarage about 22.5 MPG on my spirited runs. :)
200 miles each way, 2-3 time per month.

FWIT, I've done the Bos-NYC run in many cars, on the top of the list are the E34 and E46 (330i) and near the bottom are a Jeep Wrangler and, surprisingly(?), a '02 Subaru WRX I used to own.
Upon arrival at the destination w/ both of these cars, I was exhousted from driving them. You have to push the Subaru to keep it crusing at 80MPH.

-Kamil

Unregistered
07-12-2004, 04:41 PM
I loved every minute of it. Got her up to 120mph and she felt like she was going 60. So solid on the road. Put it in 5th when i got on i95, put the armrest down and didn't shift again until I got to tolls. Incredible highway ride thats where she feels at home. I got to NY in 4hours on the dot and when i hopped out the engine was barely warm. SHE WANTED MORE!

Unregistered
07-12-2004, 04:42 PM
as i can understand some frustration here with the unregistered posts

Kamil
07-12-2004, 05:31 PM
as i can understand some frustration here with the unregistered posts

Thank you,

-Elvis

ooopppssss.... errr... I mean,
-Kamil :D