PDA

View Full Version : Stripped Hex bolt (not threads)

UhOh
07-12-2004, 01:05 PM
I like to fix things myself and save the money and get satisfaction of having done things myself. This is where I ran into this problem. I was draining my manual xmission (90 535I) and all was fine. Then I went to put the 17mm onto the filler plug to remove it so I can fill it back up... Well it won't go all the way on because it seems the end (closest to the threads) has been stripped a little preventing the 17mm socket from going all the way on. If fits about 80% of the way on. So I gave it a go and it moved because it was stripping it a little bit more. So I gave it a few more tries and had no luck. Now I have a DRAINED tranny and can't find a way to fill it. I was thinking of taking my dremel and sanding it a little here and there so the socket would fit back on and try again. Is this advisable? Any better suggestions? I have a 2nd car to drive somewhere and get a tool. If need be I can have it towed 1 mile away to the BMW dealer and have them remove it. But I'd wrather not pay $100.00 to do this if at all possible. Any and all suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thankyou.